This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

This week Caleb Joyce met with Her Campus as a part of his quest to spread his name nationwide. Right now he’s filling the seat of Campus Celebrity; a name he wouldn’t choose for himself despite his accomplishments which involve rap stars Big Sean, B.O.B. and Tyga.

Caleb likes to remain humble.

Caleb, better known as Dubby around campus, is a junior Communications Media major with a concentration in audio production. Through his work, he’s trying to bring a name to The Burg. Not Pittsburgh or Harrisburg but Gettysburg.

Dubby has done everything with his career excluding producing the beats, since the age of four.

“Unlike other people who started their career in college, I’ve been doing this for a long time” Dubby said.

He believes, “every artist should write their own work.”

This theory explains his involvement in the conceptualization, writing and performing of his work.

“The only reason why I don’t create my own beats also is because both jobs deserve adequate time and dedication and if I put my time in one it’s taking away from another.”

Seems like a lot of work for a four year old but he sure hasn’t shied away from it over the years. Even though he’s a rapper now, Dubby’s dream first started with Rock collectives Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park. He became more inspired by rap music after meeting his friend Nathaniel, who is African American.

Dubby doesn’t do all of this work alone. He has a great support team which has helped him open several doors. His team is known as Team Loko and consists of several people that are all industry insiders. Even though he’s the only artist in the team, all the lead members are hard workers.

When asked if Team Loko is similar to Young Money, Dubby was clear in not comparing the two.

“If anything, Team Loko is similar to Wiz’s Taylor Gang, not Young Money. If you’re a fan of Wiz, then you’re a part of Taylor Gang and the same is for Team Loko. On the other hand if you’re a fan of Young Money that doesn’t make you a part of Young Money.”

[pagebreak]

Although Dubby doesn’t consider his group to be similar to Young Money, Lil’ Wayne has inspired him for years. Dubby listed off all of Wayne’s albums before sharing that ever since he started his rap career he always asked himself “What would Wayne do?”

Dubby definitely has his own style, but he’s open in admitting that everybody goes off somebody else. Wayne was the forerunner for many years before Big Sean came on the scene and now Dubby looks up to Drake and Kindred.

Not many people can say that they have performed with their idols, but Dubby can.This year he added several notches to his list of accomplishments by opening for the Tyga and B.O.B. concert at IUPs’ Homecoming, having a hometown concert in Gettysburg and opening for his idol Big Sean.

Despite all of this, Dubby’s biggest accomplishment is getting people to listen to him.

Dubby asks, “Have you ever had people that like the words that come out of your mouth?” “There’s not many people that can actually say that others listen and like what comes out of their mouth, and that feeling is amazing.”

Dubby prides himself on working at being the best and staying relevant. He believes being relevant is more than just keeping up with the social networks. It involves keeping up with your music first and promoting yourself.

In this day and age, an artist can’t wait a whole year to drop music because after a year, they’re not relevant anymore. An artist has to have a pile of music and constantly give something to their fans which is why Dubby has a plenty of music which is still unreleased. Dubby promotes himself through mix tapes, videos, and posters.

In addition to showing his love for the school and its people, Dubby wants IUP students to, “rep Loko and listen to music because I only do it for people.”

Dubby has several media outlets and ways for people to rep Loko. Learn more about Dubby and his music through:

Twitter: dubby_teamloko
Instigram: dubby_teamloko
Facebook: dubby of burg city
YouTube: burg city man

INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT Dubby
1. His favorite movie is Lord of the Rings.
2. “I love, love, love mayonnaise. I like the different brands because every type of mayonnaise has a new taste.”
3. He loves New Zealand because Lord of the Rings was filmed there

Photos courtesy of Facebook

Hailing from the City of Brotherly Love and Sisterly Affection, Junene is a current student at Indiana University of PA majoring in Journalism. She has three minors consisting of Communications Media, English: Film Studies track, and Religious Studies.She is the founding President/Editor in Chief of IUP's branch of Hercampus.com, and is the Founder/President of the IUP women's organization That's What She Said. She is also a current member of SPJ, ( Society of Professional Journalists) PRSSA (Public Relations Student Society of America), CSCR (Committee for the Study of Culture and Religion) and Vice President of the Religious Studies Club at IUP. She is the sole undergradate member of IUPs' Library Outreach and Marketing Committee and is a member of the Student Advisory Group. Junene is a first generation college student; her favorite film is The Usual Suspects and her favorite book is And Then There Were None, authored by Agatha Christie.