clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Beating Senioritis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

“Senioritis” is a thing. I was looking forward to coming back to school in August, excited to start classes and get back to learning again. We are about 7 weeks in now and I am already asking myself where May is at. I am ready for graduation. Some days I feel like I have so much work to do and feel overwhelmed. Other days I am just simply looking to move on to the next chapter of my life; graduate from college so I can enter the real world and start my career. As everyone knows, college is not easy. You will want to cry, pull your hair out, pull your professor’s hair out, and so on. You get it. The main thing that I try not to forget is self-care. Through this process it is important to take care of yourself first. Which includes getting enough sleep, eating healthy, exercising and just taking some time out for yourself. Give yourself a time out here and there.

“No man can think clearly when his fists are clenched,” says George Jean Nathan; an American movie critic and magazine editor. Think about it, putting a child in time out refers to separating them from an environment and/or other individuals to help make clear that the behavior is inappropriate and not to be tolerated. As a college student, putting yourself in “time out,” is a great way to separate yourself from difficult situations so you can keep a clear head. Take a step back, regain better perspective and still hold positive and healthy mindset. This will benefit you, of course, but it can also benefit your relationships and the people around you. When we get angry or frustrated it is easy to let our emotions get the best of us. Saying things that we do not truly mean or doing things that we may regret later, creating even bigger problems. Taking the time out to take a break and analyze your feelings all together can lessen the chances of making other people upset with you who have nothing to do with the situation. Some ways to let stress out are:

• Take a walk around campus.
  • Get some fresh air.
  • Meditate (release all negative thoughts, stress and pain).
  • Write your thoughts down.
  • Call a friend to release your thoughts to (you may even be able to gain some perspective).
  • Get a quick workout in.
  • Treat yourself to ice cream or a fruit smoothie.

As every week is different and consists of a new to-do list, I try my best to stay positive. Negativity and doubt will get you nowhere. Staying organized is also key and a way to decrease stress from your life. Organization helps create some order in what can seem like a disorderly, hectic mess. Remember, stay positive and graduation will be here in no time!

Graduated from Indiana University of Pennsylvania with a B.S in Child Development and Family Relations in May 2018. I have a passion for working with the youth, making a difference in the community, and having a positive impact on individual's lives. "A good woman, trying to be a better woman, while inspiring and helping the next woman."