5 Women to be Thankful for this Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Summer is around the corner! In the midst of your excitement for homemade meals and beautiful sunshine, remember to reflect on all that for which you have to be thankful. Family, friends, that sky-high GPA… you name it. In the spirit of appreciation, here are five women for whom we ladies should all be thankful! And, don’t forget; there are countless other women who have made invaluable contributions to society besides these few!

1. Elizabeth Blackwell

Elizabeth Blackwell was the first woman to graduate medical school and earn a medical degree in the United States, pioneering the education of women in medicine.

2. Jeannette Rankin

Jeannette Rankin was the first woman elected into the US Congress. She was elected for two separate terms, beginning in 1916 and 1940 respectively. A committed pacifist, she is the only member of Congress to vote against both World Wars.

3. Amelia Earhart

Amelia Earhart was the first female to fly solo across the Atlantic. She was a supporter of the Equal Rights Amendment and a member of the National Woman’s Party. She made many important contributions in aviation and women’s rights.

4. Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Ruth Bader Ginsburg is the second female Supreme Court Justice and the first Jewish, female justice. She’s a strong advocate for the advancement of women’s rights and spent much of her legal career before becoming a judge working for this cause.

5. Gloria Steinem

Gloria Steinem is nationally recognized as the leader of the feminist movement of the 60’s and 70’s. She has published many feminist works and alongside Jane Fonda and Robin Morgan, co-founded the Women’s Media Center, which works “to make women visible and powerful in the media.”

Hey, lovelies! My name is Alyssa and I'm an English major at IUP's Cook Honors College! My interests include reading, writing (duh!), art of all kinds, and music. If it's your style, feel free to follow me on Instagram and/or Twitter! @at_the_h3lm