photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

5 Way to Make the Most of Fall Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Gobble! Gobble! It’s that time of year again.  You’re heading home for break, friends and families reunite around a turkey, football is playing on the TV, and people are lining up at all hours of the night to get the best shopping deals possible.  If you haven’t figured it out by now, it’s Thanksgiving!  It’s also a time when college students all around the country are taking advantage of a much needed break from the fall semester before the madness of finals begins.  However, if you find yourself bored or in need of something to do while on your break, here are some ideas of things to do.

1.      Help cook Thanksgiving dinner

Instead of sitting around watching someone cook your dinner, get out there and help cook that bird! The chef would probably love that you’re offering to lend a hand and it’s a great way to catch up on quality time with your favorite family cook.  Who knows, you might learn something.

2.      Go shopping

Many view the evening after Thanksgiving as a pseudo holiday named, Black Friday.  This is an extreme shopping event that isn’t for the faint of heart!  You’ll save tons of money and you may come home with a legendary shopping story to tell your roommate.

3.      Volunteer

Thanksgiving starts the holiday season, and what better way to celebrate than to volunteer?  Sadly, many are not fortunate enough to have a hot meal or warm bed for sleeping.  Volunteer at the local soup kitchen or shelter.  Perhaps volunteering on this level isn’t what you’re comfortable with, instead, help a neighbor with some outside chores or keep an elderly neighbor company.  Volunteering can be a rewarding experience and help put the holiday season into perspective.

4.      Study

While it’s great to get away from school for a much needed break, it’s also great to get ahead or catch up.  Read that chapter while you digest the feast you just gobbled down.  Get a head start on the paper or papers that will be waiting for you when you arrive back to school.  What a relief it will be when you head back to school with one less item on your plate for finals week. 

5.      Catch up with friends

Call your friends from high school and swap stories about college or life after high school.  Reminisce about old times you shared.  It will be awesome to see old friends and hear how their lives have changed as well. 

Whatever your plans are for this fall break; Thanksgiving dinner, volunteering, or just catching up on sleep, be sure to take some time for yourself and recharge before finals.  A newly rejuvenated you for finals week is an awesome way to end the semester.

Jennifer is a senior at Indiana University of Pennsylvania, where she is an English Education major. When she isn't attending class, she loves spending time with her family and friends. She thinks that there is a chance to be AWESOME in every opportunity she's presented with and works hard to spread her positive outlook to those around her. Jennifer enjoys eating and trying new foods, participating in obstacle course 5k's, watching sappy movies, handing out high-5's, and writing. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter @jzeanchock.