5 Things NOT to say to “Whit Kids”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

5 Things NOT to say to “Whit Kids”

Cook Honors College students. “Whit” kids. Nerds. Geeks. No matter what you’ve called those students living in Whitmyre, most students on campus at least know a rumor about us. We’re the ones that are pegged as the “brilliant” students, that are apparently “too cool” to associate themselves with anyone else except other “Whit kids.” (Which is completly false.) As a fellow Whit kid, I have gotten a few interesting and sometimes, flat out rude comments when someone finds out I go to the Honors College. Here are a few things that I’ve been asked or told:

#1 “Don’t you guys get locked in your dorms at 10 o’clock?”

No, we don’t get locked in our dorms. We may have a heavy course workload, and we may not leave our dorms as often as others (especially around thesis paper time) but we aren’t locked in our dorms. We are free to come and go as we please, just like any normal student.

#2  “Don’t you guys need like a 6.0 GPA?”

That doesn’t even exist. Yes, we have a required GPA, but so do a lot of other majors. Plus, it is impossible to get a 6.0 GPA.

#3 “Ohhh…. you’re one of THOSE people?”

This is one of the popular ones many of us get. Please, try to restrain yourself from saying this, because you may not realize it, but it sounds pretty awful to us. Trust me, we don’t think that we are “better” than anyone else. There are different reasons why we chose to join the honors college, and that reason certainly isn’t one of them.

#4“Is that the culinary school?”

Yes, it’s called Cook Honors College. No, it is not the culinary school. The “Cook” part is the last name of the man who founded the honors college.

#5 “I could have been in the honors college if I wanted to.”

That is awesome that you could have gone if you wanted. I could have gone to West Chester University if I wanted, but I didn’t.

So if you encounter an honors college student, please hold back any of these comments or questions.