jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Cheap and Fun Things to Do This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Between working and maybe doing summer classes, you need something to do with friends. As the typical college student stereotype continues, we are all pretty much broke. Instead of going to the movies and spending an arm and a leg, you can go do much for more for much less! Here are five cheap and exciting things to do over the summer break.

1. Hike

(Photo by Jake Melara)

Hiking can be exciting, hot and full of exercise! It’s a win-win! Try to venture out more than just your surrounding area. You will be amazed with some of the things you will see. Put away your phone, relax, and enjoy the nature around you.

2. Swimming

(Photo by Anna Demianenko)

Get together with your friends and lay out, snack on some candy and swim around. It’s a cheap, fun way to cool down and get tanner.

3. Go to Free Concerts

(Photo by Anthony Delanoix)

Concerts in general can be a fun time. Some of the best concerts actually end up being the free ones. Even if you don’t know the artist, it could still be a good time to listen to music with friends and even meet new people.

4. Bonfires

(Photo by Kyle Peyton)

Bonfires can give you some of the best memories of your life. Grab a hoodie, start a fire, gather around it with friends. Enjoy the gossip and the laughs that continue throughout the night.

5. Geocaching  

(Photo by Tabea Damm)

Geocaching is pretty much a giant hide-and-seek with the whole country. People go out and hide “treasures,” download an app, and go seek them. This can be a fun and exciting thing to do.

Hopefully these ideas contribute to your amazing summer! Relax after work and go on adventures and enjoy yourself!

"She remembered who she was, then the game changed."