samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

15 Frustrating Things that Happen During Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Finals week is a tense time in every college student’s life. Each person on campus is overwhelmed with responsibilities and time consuming studying that they have to get done. In this week, you will face almost every frustrating situation possible, and even though you might not think you can, you will live through them! 

1. Somebody takes your spot in the library

The library always has a spot for you during the regular weeks of classes, but this week isn’t like that. EVERYBODY has flooded to the library in a desperate attempt to actually retain enough information to pass their exams. It’s as if the world is ending and the only safe place where the zombies can’t get in is the library… ironically, most of us in the library tend to look like zombies.

2. When your group can never all meet at the same time

There is always that dreaded group project for a final grade. (If you haven’t gone through this yet, consider yourself lucky.) Everybody in your group has a different schedule, and chances are it will be the world’s hardest thing to plan a meeting time, especially during this week. Don’t even think about trying to meet up with them at the library either.

3. Netflix releases a new season of your favorite show

It’s like they know exactly when you need to be focused on school and they decided “Hey, let’s give the college students something to distract them from studying for finals and make them all fail!” Just one episode couldn’t hurt, right? 

4. Your mother gets upset when you forget to call her

Trying to remember to call your mom during this week will be incredibly hard. Even if you write a reminder, it will get lost in the pile of other things you have to get done. Sorry moms! We love you but we’re so beyond stressed we can’t even find our phone! (Unless it’s to procrastinate by playing endless hours of Candy Crush.) 

5. You stop eating meals at regular times

If you can’t remember to call your mom, how are you supposed to remember to eat dinner at a normal time? You wake up at weird times because your exams are scheduled at the oddest hours and this messes up the entire flow of everything. If you want to have a structured ordinary day during this week, you’re SOL. 

6. Eating your feelings

Along with forgetting to eat, you will also tend to eat pretty much all the food you have available to you when you do get hungry. To try not gaining too many calories from this, opt for going out to places on campus where they have pre-portioned foods. 

7. Deciding whether you should pack or study

Another stressful thing about finals week is that as soon as your last one is over, you’re free to go for the summer! This means you have to be ready to go so you can get out of here and finally go relax. Finding the time to pack up your things and study can be a big conflict for most students, especially those aiming to leave as soon as that last final has been conquered! 

8. The printer in the library runs out of ink

You have 2 final papers due, 3 final projects, you’ve spent the entire night in the library computer lab, chugging iced coffee and pumping out each one. You’re finally done and you send them to the printer. The DREADED red light comes on and it beeps. Out. Of. Ink. OF COURSE! 

9. You spend more time complaining than studying

The only thing college students do more than study during finals week is complain. Especially about studying. Or about that awful line in the library coffee shop that you’re waiting in. Or literally anything and everything that gets to us that week, which tends to be a lot. 

10. You try group studying with friends

You all show up with text books and goals in mind, but nobody even cracks their book open. This can be a huge stress reliever but once it’s finally over and you all realize you got nothing done, it can add to the stress even more. 

11. That one night when you break down into tears

There’s so much going on in one week that sometimes you just can not do it anymore. Between packing, and studying, and procrastinating, you’re overwhelmed. Beyond overwhelmed. There will be a night when you just need to let it all out, and that’s okay! Don’t beat yourself up too much and know when to take a much needed break! 

12. Regretting not doing that extra credit assignment last week

Whether it was 5 points or 100 points, you just didn’t think it was worth the time. You would much rather have sat outside in the sunshine with your friends, pretending not to have a care in the world. It seemed like the best idea at the time, but boy do you regret it this week! 

13. Having nightmares about your exams

You wake up in a panicked sweat and look at your clock. You completely forgot to study that one thing! Your bed is calling for you to return to it and enjoy your slumber before your 8 am exam the next day but you have to hit the books now or your worst nightmare will come true! 

14. Calculating the exact grade you have to get to pass

You try to figure out the exact curve your professor might apply and exactly how many questions and points you would have to get correct on the exam in order to get at least a C on it. This is all happening when you were supposed to be studying for that class, of course. 

15. Waiting in the world’s longest line for coffee 

If you think the library is packed, just wait until you get in line for coffee. It’s like a never ending line for the new roller coaster at an amusement park. Even people who don’t drink coffee must have it so they can stay more focused in their studies. And even though you don’t want to be one of those people, you will wait in this line… and you’ll complain about it later. 

Remember not to stress too much about finals but also try your best! Good luck!

Interior Design major, Creative Writing minor, Netflix binger, puppy lover, and professional Zac Efron fangirl. I guess you could say I've got my hands full.