When All Else Fails, Bloomington Succeeds: B-town offers everything you need for a fantastic summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

Plan A: Get that amazing internship in New York, Chicago or L.A. Move into a swanky apartment, network with all the right people and get your dream job offer at the end of the summer.

Plan B: Not even necessary, right?

But sometimes even the best-laid Plan A’s don’t work out, especially in today’s tight labor market. You might be surprised to learn, though, that the makings of a memorable and productive summer are right in front of you.

Of course, you can always go home. Even low-paying jobs might be scarce, but rent and food costs are zero. Plus, you get to spend time with family, pets and even friends who went to other universities.

If you’re going home this summer, ask your parents if they know anyone who’s hiring. Ask your neighbors if they need a babysitter, or post your information on www.care.com. Better yet, check with previous employers or places where you volunteered to see if they need paid (or unpaid) help.

If the thought of your hometown still trips your gag reflex, don’t worry. This is Indiana – and it only gets better during the summertime.

Bloomington summers offer so many perks that they’re difficult to list. Easier parking is enough to make it worth it, but here are several more major draws:

Summer course offerings: Summer classes cost money, but they can save you stress during the school year or even help you graduate early. You can knock out distribution credits if you’re a College of Arts and Sciences major, or you can take Summer I-CORE if you’re in the Kelley School of Business. Check the Hutton Honors College Undergraduate Grant program if you’re concerned about finances (you don’t have to be a member).

Employment: Just like any other town, Bloomington might not be the easiest place to get a job. However, if you have a car or flexible hours, there are plenty of businesses here that hire summer help. You could even peruse IU’s Employment Index through University Human Resource Services for a campus gig.

The great outdoors: Southern Indiana is green and scenic in the summertime. Bryan Park, at Henderson Street and Maxwell Lane, offers trails, a playground, and a swimming pool—the water slides are pretty impressive. Lake Monroe is perfect for picnics, and you can rent a canoe for four hours at only $35. Better yet, plan a day trip to McCormick’s Creek (25 minutes away) or Brown County State Park (45 minutes away) for hiking, caving and climbing.

Taste the town: Bloomington has so many great restaurants, and during the summer you’ll never have to wait for a table. But the Farmer’s Market, which starts April 2 and runs throughout the summer, helps support local growers. Skewer and grill fresh veggies for a backyard barbecue! Also be sure to check out Showers Common on June 18 for the Taste of Bloomington. Dozens of Bloomington restaurants and caterers will offer samples of their specialties with live music accompanying.

Fun, fun, fun: If you want more excitement than Rebecca Black on a Friday, get a group together for Holiday World in Santa Claus, Ind. It’s the perfect mini road trip (two hours away) and features the world’s longest water coaster as well as free soft drinks all day. The Indianapolis Zoo is even closer and will offer a newly redesigned Amur Tiger Forest exhibit starting May 28 in addition to the already impressive aquarium and butterfly garden.

The summer atmosphere at IU is intoxicating, and you only get a few chances to soak in this vibrant, verdant town at its best. So forget Plan A, and embrace Plan Bloomington!

Molly Johnson is a junior studying journalism and political science at Indiana University. She is originally from a small town in Northwest Indiana, though traveling is one of her passions. She has studied abroad in Dublin, Ireland and Seoul, South Korea- both of which were life-changing experiences. Molly loves to read and write, and has been a reporter and desk editor at the Indiana Daily Student, IU's award-winning student newspaper, for three years. Currently she is interning at Bloom, a city magazine in Bloomington, IN. Molly plans to go on to graduate school and then pursue a career as a writer. She hopes, one day, to write a book.