What To Do Over Thanksgiving Break in 4 Major Cities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

For those of you who haven’t been home since August, you’re probably counting down the days until you can see your cute pup, sleep in your own bed and go to your favorite restaurant. Whether you’re traveling solo or bringing along your new bffs, you’ve gotta start making your Thanksgiving break plans. A week may seem like a long amount of time, but with all the eating, shopping and whatever else you heart desires it’s vital to have a strategic plan. Thankfully, I’ve scoured the internet for which activites you should definitely schedule into your week.

1. ChicagoChicago Thanksgiving Parade: Go see the Annual Thanksgiving parade that marches down State Street. Over 400,000 people line State Street each year in anticipation of the big event. In the past the parade has featured carols of marching bands, gigantic inflatable helium balloons and floats. Check out who will be featured at the parade this year on its site.

Zoo Lights: The day after Thanksgiving, Lincoln Park Zoo celebrates with luminous displays and holiday-season activites throughout the zoo. This is a must-see during Thanksgiving weekend in Chicago. Not to mention, oh-so-romantic to walk through with your hubby at night. 

Other: Ice-skating in Millennium Park and the tree lighting the night before Thanksgiving in the Loop. 

2. Miami (when you’re not at the beach soaking up some rays)The Annual Winternational Thanksgiving Day Parade and Festival: Their parade is celebrating its 40th year in North Miami and in the past has featured bands, dance groups, professional floats, community groups and much more. It’s at 10:00 a.m. on Thursday, Nov. 27th. More information can be found on its site.

Santa’s Enchanted Forest: This is the biggest Christmas Theme Park in the world. They offer rides, game shows, a petting zoo, pony rides and more. Get your jump start into holiday spirit and visit the sparkly lit park. More information here.

Miami Turkey Trot: Nov. 27th; More information here.

3. New YorkMacy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade: In the past this famous, annual parade has featured giant balloons, floats, cheerleaders, clowns, marching bands, Broadway shows and even celebs! More information can be found on its site.

WindowsWear: WindowsWear, upon its launch in 2012, catalogs the current displays of around 500 retailers. They currently cater to: New York, LA, Mexico City, Milan, Paris, London, Barcelona, Tokyo and Hong Kong. They offer an online tour of Fifth Avenue’s most impressive glass displays. Over a two-hour time span you can check out stores like Barneys and Bergdorf Goodman, while hearing about the inspiration behind their constantly changing window displays. More information here.

Other: Ice skating at Rockefeller Center, Black Friday Shopping because New York is obviously the ultimate shopping destination and you’re bound to find everything on your holiday shopping list in the Big Apple.

4. Los AngelesThe Great Los Angeles Walk: On the Saturday before Thanksgiving (Saturday, Nov. 22nd). Make sure to wear your walking shoes for this 17-mile walk!

Thanksgiving Cupcake Decorating: At Duff’s Cakemix, create your own festive cupcakes for the holiday. These delicious treats will leave your family, friends and their stomachs feeling thankful. You can sign up here.

Hollywood Christmas Parade: Sunday, Nov. 30th

Have a good Thanksgiving Break! HCIU XO

Journalism and Apparel Merchandising student at Indiana University.