A Walk in My Shoes: Ballerina Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

At Indiana University, every student is constantly on his or her toes going from building to building, class to class, room to room, party to party.  But some Hoosiers are quite literally on their toes for six hours a day, thirty hours a week. This is Indiana University Ballet Theatre.

(photo of IUBT freshman Leslie Theisen by Liara Lovett)

This is my first year at IUBT, but my fourteenth year as a dancer.  My name is Madeleine, and I come from Boston.  Early into my senior year I entered the dichotomy most dancers do: pursuing life as a professional ballet dancer or attending college.  There was no way I could live with out the ephemeral feeling I receive from dancing, but I also knew that a dancer’s career isn’t all that long, so I would need a back up plan. 

(Madeleine Ohman courtesty of Madeleine Ohman)

I decided to audition at IU’s Jacobs School of Music in March because it is the only college in the nation that collaborates education with dance in such a cohesive manner that pushes each student to their artistic and academic extremes.  On August 25, 2011, I found myself moving in to the Forest Quad Dormitory as a ballet major pursuing an outside field in kinesiology.

So, what’s a day like in the life of a ballet major?  Well, I can’t speak for everyone, but there is always something to do.  Let’s start with the fact that everyday I have to get up for my eight o’clock class.  It’s rough.  All dancer’s core requirements and outside field classes need to be scheduled before 11:30 a.m. or after 5:30 p.m.; we have to be in the studio rehearsing or taking ballet class between 11:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.  Ballet majors are allowed to take nineteen credits a semester, which allows more time to focus on whichever outside field you choose.

(Madeleine Ohman and dancers courtesy of Madeleine Ohman)

Now I’ll walk (or dance) you through a typical day.  I wake up at seven, and grab my Greek yogurt in the fridge (I’m obsessed with Greek yogurt. Breakfast. Lunch. Dessert. Yum.)  I have two “regular” classes until 10:00 a.m., and then I have ten minutes to get to my jazz class in the Musical Arts Center. The loading dock elevator in the MAC is extremely slow and guarantees I’ll be late for my first warm-up combination in jazz class (I learned this the hard way).  There is a dressing room upstairs where everyone is trading leotards and getting ready for class. After jazz is ballet class from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. This year IUBT has the largest freshman class ever, so even when we are alone in class, with no upperclassmen, it’s extremely crowded. When all of the dancers are together in one class, I have to look hard for a spot to stand at the barre.

(photobucket)

For me, ballet class is my favorite part of the day.  I zone out of the collegiate™ world to focus on what I love to do, and what I’m here to do.  IUBT has incredible teachers with such diversity in training styles, namely Balanchine and Classical technique. After class we have a half hour to look at the schedule for the day (which is posted the night before class) to see where we have to be next.  It could be anything from pointe class, to rehearsal, to pas de deux (partnering).  There may also be that rare occasion where I have the afternoon off.

The hallway is pretty tight since everyone is scrambling too look at the schedule, so I’m always bumping into someone talking about Vampire Diaries, Dance Moms (hilarious), Glee or eating a Cliff Bar.  Some girls are stretching, sewing pointe shoes, foam rolling (a technique that relieves muscle stiffness), practicing piano (all ballet majors have to take piano class for two semesters… it’s the death of me), studying, etc. A lot goes on in that half hour. At 1:30 p.m. everyone has their shoes back on and is warmed up and ready to go for what could be another four hours of non-stop dancing.  After rehearsals some of us have one or two classes to go to, and others are done for the night.

Try to recall those typical dance movies, like Center Stage.  Ever notice that the dancers in the movie don’t have the most attractive feet?  Well, I hate to say it, but it’s true. After a long day, it feels amazing to soak those babies in a basin of warm water and Epsom salt. Our feet take a lot of pressure from literally standing on the tips of our toes, so we do them a favor by giving them the TLC they truly deserve.

(photobucket)

Right now we are rehearsing for Concerto Borocco, Dear Fredrick, and Company B. Our first show is October 7th!  This particular show won’t be your average “sugar plum fairy” ballet, at least not until December, but it’s a perfect opportunity to see what us bun heads do all day, everyday.  

Does that sound Black Swan enough for you? :)

Courtney Kabbes is a junior at Indiana University. She is majoring in journalism with a concentration in apparel merchandising. When she's not busy updating Her Campus IU and promoting their site, she works as the Vice President of Social Media for the Retail Studies Organization and Ed2010 at Indiana. Some of her favorite things include shopping, mint chocolate chip ice cream, New York City, Bikram yoga, and spending time with her two favorite people: her mother and sister. Did we forget to mention her slight obsession with Pinterest? www.pinterest.com/ckabbes