Top 3 Lessons I’ve Learned From Greek Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

Greek life is huge at IU. You can always spot someone on campus wearing their letters to class, at the library or working out at the SRSC. IU Greeks are proud, and they have a good reason to be. After all, 25 percent of Forbes’ Super 500 corporation chiefs, 48 percent of all U.S. presidents, 42 percent of U.S. senators, 30 percent of U.S. congressmen and 40 percent of U.S. Supreme Court justices were all Greek. At IU, about 18 percent of Hoosiers are involved with one of the four Greek councils (Panhellenic, IFC, MCGC and NPHC). I’m lucky to be a member of Theta Phi Alpha sorority. I can honestly say the community is life-changing. At a school of 40,000 people, Greek life has helped me find my niche. The community opens doors by introducing you to people you never would’ve met otherwise. Greek life offers the chance to give back to the community through philanthropy and to be a leader in your own organization. Here are the top three lessons I’ve learned from Greek life:

1.Time ManagementA Greek organization is a big commitment, especially on top of a full 15 credit hour class schedule and other extracurricular activities. However, since joining my sorority and even though I’m now more involved on campus, my grades and time management skills have actually gotten better. This is because all chapters at IU emphasize the importance of academics by requiring a certain GPA of all their members, which definitely motivates me to hit up Wells Library. Also, my chapter has study tables almost every day of the week. After all, Collegiettes, who doesn’t want to hang out and study with their sisters?

2. Small TalkSmall talk is a necessary and underrated life skill. After having gone through sorority recruitment (aka a two-week crash course for Collegiettes in non-stop small talk), I feel like I can talk to anyone about anything. Seriously, this skill will help you connect with anyone. It’ll make meeting people in class and striking up a conversation not feel awkward, and you’ll feel more comfortable and confident in professional situations, like a job interview. 

3. You can do anything you put your mind to!The Greek community and your sisters are the best support system a Collegiette could ask for. I have found some of my best friends through Greek life at IU. There’s always someone to hang out with, a shoulder to cry on or a sister to encourage you to follow your dreams and go out for that intramural sport you’ve been wanting to try or to apply for your dream internship. My sisters make me feel like I can do anything I put my mind to, and can a girl ask for anything more than that?

Though you may only be in college with your sisters for four years, your letters and these three lessons are for life. 

Melanie Metzman is a sophomore at Indiana University majoring in Journalism and Communication and Culture. When she's not busy in class or grabbing a latte and studying at the IMU Starbucks, you can find her working out, blogging (sometimesiwritethings.weebly.com), reading magazines, watching rom-coms, or spending time with her sorority sisters in downtown Bloomington. She is obsessed with all things fashion and beauty and dreams of writing for a major fashion magazine after graduation. Keep of with Melanie on Twitter @melanie_metzman