Tips on Landing The Perfect Summer Job

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

For many young people across the country, summer is the perfect time to see old friends, soak up the sun, and most of all, make some serious cash for the upcoming school year. Like most freshmen in college, I wasn’t sure what my plan for this summer was going to be but I also wasn’t sure if I was ready to give up the summers that I was used to. Figuring out ways to land a perfect job that was fun and made me money was certainly difficult. HCIU came up with a list of tips to help you land that perfect summer job!

Keep your resume up to date. It’s important that your future employer knows about all the activities you’ve been doing. Keeping your resume sharp and up-to-date will show employers that you are productive and involved.

Create a Linkedin profile. This is great for making connections with future employers. You can connect with friends, IU alum, and faculty. The more people you know, the more people are able to connect you with others in your field of study. It’s a great way to get your name out there and meet new people within your career field.

Ask your parents for help. Yes, it is a little embarrassing to still be asking your parents for help in college, but (most of the time) they really do know what they’re doing. Your parents/relatives often have a lot of connections that can get you hooked up with a job, even if it is a low-paying summer gig.

Branch out a little. It is a little disheartening when you spend hours on end looking for the perfect job, only to find jobs that you feel you have no interest in whatsoever. Branch out a little and look for jobs that you may not initially imagine for yourself. You may be surprised at what you find!

Don’t lose hope. Not everyone has an easy time finding a job. It’s a tedious process and takes a lot of time and dedication. Keep your head up, your heels high, and your resume updated, and you will be successful!

Title Image Source*