Tanning Beds: Are You Dying To Be Tan?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

Fast-forward to Little 5. You are dartying in a boat on Lake Monroe with your best friends when the moment of truth has arrived: it is officially time to remove your “(Insert Frat/Srat) Cycling” Frat Tank and show the world (or at least your sorority sisters) some skin.

If you are like me and do not exactly look like Beyoncé, a moment like this can be traumatic, not to mention embarrassing. Not only are you feeling remorseful of your one-too-many Pizza X runs and Baked cookies, but also, you are really effing pale.

We fully understand that no one wants to be the “pale friend”. You know, the friend that all of your bronze besties fight to stand next to on the beach so they look even more tan. However, roasting away in a tanning bad with harmful UV rays is NOT the answer.

“But I just got a free tanning session and I am only going to go, like, this one time!” #LiesWeTell

The fact is that many young girls, and even guys, do not realize that tanning beds are extremely addictive and expensive. While you may think that you are getting super tan from your ten minute date with UV rays, the harsh truth is that your tan will fade in about a week and you will be heading back for another session. Tanning places feed your addiction by making you purchase “monthly” packages, leaving you out 40-60 dollars and at high risk for skin cancer. But come on, who cares about a little skin cancer when you get this free pretty lotion packet and a set of eye covers, right? Wrong.

With that said, HCIU encourages girls to get tan… the safe and cost-friendly way:

Jergens and Neutrogena. Many brands, like Jergens and Neutrogena, make excellent products that can help you develop a perfect tan. Apply this everyday lotion to your skin and you will notice a gradual change within a few weeks. If you decide to go the Jergens’ route, the lotion will not only give you a sexy tan, but has a firming ingredient that reduces cellulite. Show us a tanning bed that can do that.
Beauty tip:make sure to wash your hands thoroughly after applying the lotion and always spread the lotion onto your skin evenly to avoid blotches.

Spray it ain’t so. When we hear the phrase “spray tan”, many automatically think of orange looking teenage girls getting ready for their junior proms. However, this does not have to be the case. There are many places and people that give natural looking spray tans at inexpensive prices.
Beauty tip: Try to go somewhere that was recommended by someone you trust to guarantee positive results. Also, always get a lighter shade than you think you want… better to be safe than sorry orange.

Au Naturale. The best way to get a natural-looking tan is simple: go outside! No, I do not mean put on SPF .003 sunscreen and soak your body in tanning oil. Believe it or not, there are safe ways to sunbathe and still get great results. We know that nothing was worse than your mom rubbing sunscreen on every inch of your body before you could go play on the beach with your friends. So settle for a solid SPF 20-30 sunscreen and lather up! We promise you will still get a nice tan. Plus, you won’t have fugly red sunburns all of your body. Oh and FYI: peeling skin is not sexy. 
Beauty Tip: After a long day of sunbathing, add some bronzer to your chest and arms before you go out for the night. This will help bring out your tan from the day and add a sparkly touch.

Dying to read more about dangerous trends?
Click here: http://www.hercampus.com/school/iu/cigarettes-are-you-dying-look-cool

Rachel Kaplan is currently a Junior at Indiana University. She is an active writer and Campus Correspondent for the IU Chapter of Her Campus. Rachel is majoring in Journalism with a double minor in Art History and Studio Art. While originally from Philadelphia, she hopes to move to New York City after graduation and pursue a career in Public Relations. Often found in Starbucks, Rachel loves to sip on her iced coffee while she writes, edits, and brainstorms articles for HCIU. Rachel is a proud sister of Alpha Epsilon Phi and is looking forward to living in the Phi house next year. She loves tennis, writing, OPI nail polish, the Hoosiers, gummy bears, and spending time with her family and friends.Follow Rachel on twitter: @_rachelkaplan & @HerCampusIU