This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

Ah yes, summer. What a beautiful word. A time to relax, rejoice, and recuperate from the stresses of the school year. No more papers, no more projects, and no more assignments. Our brains are given the well-needed break we’ve been waiting for all year. 

However, aside from its obvious upsides, summer oftentimes fails to meet expectations. We aren’t going to be out partying until 3 A.M. or waking up in someone else’s bed. What happens at school can most certainly not happen at home. We aren’t offered the same freedoms. So get ready to reenter a world of constant supervision. It’s quite the culture shock.

The summer leaves us with an abundance of free time, but it becomes increasingly difficult to fill the days with different things to do. We find ourselves stuck in a repetitive, unfulfilling cycle that goes on and on. Every day blends into the next, one being more boring than the one before.

But, that’s just how it is. Summer brings out a newfound laziness. Making plans, even leaving the house, suddenly seems like the last thing you want to do.

The school year takes a lot out of us, mentally and physically, so we are entitled to some R&R. That’s what summer is for. What’s so wrong with that? 

So before you start complaining that you’re “so bored,” remember that summer means collegiate hibernation. The weather might be nice, but our beds are even nicer and that takes precedence over everything. Our parents might get mad because we’re sleeping our lives away, but they just don’t get it. Get some sleep, relax, and enjoy. There’s always another time to be productive. 

Title Image Credit*