This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

While winter time is packed with holidays, family, good food and good cheer, it also calls for colder, snowier weather, less sunlight and more time spent indoors. For many people, this seasonal change might give them a case of the “winter blues.” Whether it’s the winter season that’s making you feel down or you just feel like you need a good ol’ boost of happiness (and who doesn’t at some point? Everyone has their ups and downs), here are some simple yet effective ways to increase your general happiness:

Exercise: Exercise is not only a happiness booster; it’s also a stress killer. All you have to do is take a walk, do some jumping jacks or dance around your room and you’ll quickly feel a lot better due to an endorphin release (otherwise known as the “feel good” chemicals).

Go outside: Being cooped up indoors too long won’t do anyone any good. Go outside to get some well-needed sunlight and a breath of fresh air. If absolutely impossible, at least open the blinds to get some sun to stream in or turn on the lights so it’s not too dark and gloomy inside.

Sleep: Sleep is not only important to our physical health, but also to our mental health and happiness. Sleep helps your body recover and repair itself so that it can be in its best shape when you wake up. With the right amount of sleep, you’ll be more productive and focused and ready to tackle the day.

Spend time with family and friends: Even when you don’t feel like talking to anyone, reaching out to a close family member or good friend can make your day a little brighter. Bonus points for choosing an especially positive or hilarious friend or family member to give you a well-needed laugh.

Smile: Scientific studies have proven that when people smile even when they’re unhappy it can make them feel happier. It’s called the facial feedback hypothesis and it’s basically your body tricking your mind into believing it’s happy. You should definitely give it a try; it actually works!

Be grateful and think positive: Counting your blessings is an easy strategy for feeling happier. By focusing on the positives rather than the negatives in your life, you can definitely lift your mood. So next time you’re worried about what you’re doing with your life after college, focus on the fact that you’re lucky enough to be in college and will be graduating with a degree.

Get excited: Hope is an underrated emotion, but without hope we would have nothing to live for. If you have nothing to look forward to or work towards, that will definitely affect your happiness. If you’re feeling depressed, try to think of something in your future that excites you. And if you can’t think of anything, plan something! That is also a great way to direct your focus on something positive.

Give back: Last but not least, helping others is a great way to feel happier. When you do something genuinely for the sake of others, it not only helps them, but it also will make you feel better about yourself because you’ve done something good for someone else. Try some sort of volunteer work or even just make a conscious effort to be nicer or more helpful with the people in your life. And don’t forget: what goes around comes around!