One IU Collegiette’s™ “Booty Call” Wisdom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

In college the sending and receiving of a booty call seems to be a right of passage; something both collegiettes™ and male co-ed finds themselves doing from time to time. 

The booty call seems to be a simple concept on the surface, but it is more complex than one would initially think.

“What’s up?” or “Hey” are the standard booty calls. The unoriginal message could classify as a mass booty call text, especially if your name does not follow these statements.

These go to messages via call or text are typically used as a final plea, when you have been ignoring a boy all night. This introduces another aspect of the booty call: persistence. If you keep on ignoring their calls and texts that night, but they keep on sending them this typically means that their desire to reach you was not on a complete whim. 

The “persistent contact test” is a good way to learn if you’re the only one he is hanging out with. The more he contacts you in a night the more likely that you are his one and only. 

He may be persistent, but is he sober? If he sends numerous texts within the hour or even within minutes chances are his level of sobriety is questionable. Misspellings are also a dead give away when assessing his level of sobriety. 

If the booty calls are only indicated by a drunken night of raging — as many are — the lifespan of such a practice does not translate into a strong consistent hookup. 

Furthermore, the sloppy booty call indicates that the sender is just looking for a fun time. BEWARE this guy is not looking for a relationship!

But what if you want something more? Try randomly texting him during the daytime (a very uncovential booty call time).

The content of the text you send him will help you figure out if you like him more than just a hookup buddy. Specifically, if you cannot think of anything other to say than “What’s up?” or something about the weather, chances are the only form of compatibility with the person is one of booty calling. You then should drop the person unless you wish to just continue being booty call buddies.

But if you can think of something to text him about like a common interest or an inside joke then send it during the day and see if he responds. If he responds sometime during the day chances are he likes you, and if you want something more, go for it girl!

If he responds at the regular booty call time for example, around 1 a.m., chances are he wants you, but not as a girlfriend. If he does not respond at all he is probably a player or is moving on.

If you think he has moved on because your regular booty has not appeared, at say, 2 a.m. on Saturday, it is not unlikely that he is out of town or just passed out. If you planned your night around this call and are upset when it does not happen, run girl! Your anger reflects your dependence on the booty call and you are officially suffering from booty call dependence. 

If you or your “buddy” are booty call dependent, chances are one of you will get hurt. It is great if you both feel the same, but a nightmare if you don’t.

So if the booty call is becoming too regular you should either end it or have the dreaded “what are we” talk before it gets ugly.

The Final Test: To assess if you genuinely like him, see how you react when you bump into him on campus. If you instantly find the quickest route to avoid him seeing you (i.e. jumping into the nearest bush or speed walking across the street and making a fool of yourself) chances are you like him.

If you avoid eye contact and walk fast chances are you regret the booty call and remain indifferent to ever talking to him again.

If you say, “hi” and strike up a conversation, chances are you want to be friends and possibly more.

Now, go test your hypothesis!

I started a blog called HackCollege and I'm a current student at Loyola Marymount Unviersity. Note: I'm a dude.
Alyssa Goldman is a junior at Indiana University majoring in journalism and gender studies. Alyssa aspires to be an editor at a women’s magazine writing about women’s issues and feminism. Alyssa has served as city & state editor and special publications editor for the Indiana Daily Student, IU’s award-winning student newspaper. She has also interned at Chicago Parent magazine, the IU Office of University Communications and Today’s Chicago Woman magazine. Currently, she is interning at Bloom, a city magazine in Bloomington, Ind., and loves being a Campus Correspondent for HC! In her spare time, Alyssa enjoys watching The Bad Girls Club, The Jersey Shore and The Real Housewives (of any city); listening to Lady Gaga; drinking decaf skinny vanilla soy lattes from Starbucks; reading magazines; and shopping and eating with her girls on IU’s infamous Kirkwood Avenue.