Money Saving Tips for Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

Spring break is a time to relax, enjoy the beach and have fun with your friends.  It’s a week that you get to completely leave your school stress behind. So why not continue the stress-free living even when you get back to campus? Many of us experience the classic post-spring break depression. The week never fails to fly by and when we return we sit in class reminiscing our week’s achievements (hands up to all the booty shaking contest winners out there). If you are smart with your money, though, you have one less thing to worry about once you return to IU.

It’s easy to forget about your budget and throw away big bucks when you’re having a fun time at your tropical destination.  The secret is- you don’t have to spend a dime more than what you were planning. So, make sure a tan isn’t the only thing you can come back with this spring break.  Here’s how to save your cash…

• Don’t spend money on souvenirs. You know what t-shirt that tells everyone you were at (insert destination)? It’s not needed. Just take plenty of pictures. That’s all that is needed to prove you had a good time!

• Be picky about where and what you eat. Instead of heading out to nice restaurants every night, try some local places. Hey, food is food. Why not see what the locals can cook up?

• You don’t HAVE to go jet skiing, or parasailing, or bungee jumping. Think about it. Is fifteen minutes of fun really worth $100?

• Skip out on the VIP passes that a lot of club promoters offer to college students. They are usually not worth your money for a week’s worth of time.

• Lastly, collegiettes, remember that the beach is free. It doesn’t cost a cent to soak up the sun.

Have fun and be safe this spring break!

Courtney Kabbes is a junior at Indiana University. She is majoring in journalism with a concentration in apparel merchandising. When she's not busy updating Her Campus IU and promoting their site, she works as the Vice President of Social Media for the Retail Studies Organization and Ed2010 at Indiana. Some of her favorite things include shopping, mint chocolate chip ice cream, New York City, Bikram yoga, and spending time with her two favorite people: her mother and sister. Did we forget to mention her slight obsession with Pinterest? www.pinterest.com/ckabbes