pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Many Feelings of a Graduating Senior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

Graduation is ticking closer. Years have become months, months will become weeks, and weeks will become days. Before we know it, we’ll be kicked out of the comfortable collegiate nest we’ve built for ourselves these past four years.

Every senior goes through countless phases in their final few months as students. Here are a few personal experiences I’ve had so far this year, everything from my inadequance to finding a job. Am I the only one who’s stressed? 

Senior year swagger is in full swing… FINALLY! We thank our lucky stars that we’ve made it to the top of the college food chain. We feel nothing short of awesome, thinking “I can conquer the world.”

But then people start asking me what my plans are after graduation, so maybe I should start thinking about that. Can my answer simply be “to be employed?” Crap. I’m really expected to do something after college. So far, I’ve only concentrated on passing my classes, not what happens after I’m done with them. 

So I pour over possible career opportunities. If I go through university resources… yuck. Do I really want a job with Kohl’s? Nothing against Kohl’s, but it’s not exactly my style.

So I turn to outside sources. I checking out Indeed.com and find that there are jobs galore. So many jobs! I’m bound to get one. Someone will have to hire me. Someone will pick me.

Hold up… isn’t senior year supposed to be a breeze? Why did I take all my GenEds freshman year? When am I supposed to have the time to look for a job, prepare cover letters, and maintain a social life?

Also, casually freaking out about the fact that every job application requires 2-4+ years’ experience. And superior oral communication. And proficiency in three languages. And your first child. But really… doesn’t the past four years count as experience? Can’t that work?

Can I start thinking about pursuing an internship or working for free? Because working for nothing for an amazing company could lead to employment later on, right? Right?!

Hm, let me think of my strengths. I can see what positions the brewing industry has to offer. Oh yeah, I would definitely fit in. I know craft beers. I worked at a bar for four months. I can spot the difference from Corona and Miller Lite. Oh wait, they expect five years experience in the food industry (and must be able to lift a keg.) Yeah, nope. Check that off the list.

Shake it off. Getting a job won’t be this hard. People get jobs all the time. I made it through four years of college. I made it through econ and financial accounting. I kick ass.

Nope. Nope. Nope. I am not prepared. Let me stay in college. Let me earn a couple more degrees. That’s experience right? I can’t leave college because no one else will take me. I can’t leave because I refuse to live in my parent’s basement. Let me just ignore the whole job necessity and sleep forever.

It’ll be fine. I repeat, It will be fine. Hopefully I am not alone in feeling completely out of control of my future.

Is this how it goes for everyone or is it just me? Eh, it’ll be fine. 

Title Image Credit*