Long-Distance 101: 7 Tips To Make It Work!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

Relationships are hard while you’re in college…especially if they are long distance! With all of the college festivities and lonely nights, how in the world are you two going to make it work? Don’t fret-here are 7 key pointers to keep your relationship at its best!

1. Set up “skype dates” throughout the week. You both should set aside time every week where you can talk to each other with limited distractions. You could even watch a movie together during skype and talk about it as if you are really together! I know it’s cheesy, but it helps a lot.

2. Don’t rely on just texting to communicate with each other. It’s hard for either person to text back right away and texting always confuses people because you never know what kind of mood they are in. Try setting up phone dates too or calling each other randomly and leaving a voicemail! Those little things can work as boosters to help you get through the week.

3. Send each other mail. Like actual mail-the kind you can touch/hold. I know it’s a little old school, but receiving mail in college is like the most exciting thing ever! If you send something to your boyfriend, it will be way more special than a text or phone call because it’s something you actually wrapped/wrote/held with your own two hands and now he’s holding it at his college 8 hrs away!

4. Focus on what’s in front of you. It sucks that you can’t be with your boyfriend all the time, but dwelling on what you can’t change sure won’t help. So, focus on what’s in front of you, like school, friends, and your social life! It is very important to have a social life and you want to make sure having a boyfriend doesn’t change that. Surrounding yourself with friends and people you like will help a lot! Nights are especially the worst, but with some girlfriends or music to distract you, you can get your mind off not being with your man!

5. If you can, visit each other. Plan a set date on weekend that you can both look forward to. Then just spend the day together and have him meet your friends that you made too! He can see your life at your college and you can see his!

6. Communicate. This might be the most important one. Tell him what’s going on and how you feel, and he should too. Don’t go to bed mad! If something’s wrong, then talk to him about it right there. It will eat at you every day until you finally go off on him like a crazy girl friend and you don’t want that!

7. Just breathe. Sometimes it will be hard, but you will get through it. You will figure out what’s right for you and what works and what doesn’t!

Rachel Kaplan is currently a Junior at Indiana University. She is an active writer and Campus Correspondent for the IU Chapter of Her Campus. Rachel is majoring in Journalism with a double minor in Art History and Studio Art. While originally from Philadelphia, she hopes to move to New York City after graduation and pursue a career in Public Relations. Often found in Starbucks, Rachel loves to sip on her iced coffee while she writes, edits, and brainstorms articles for HCIU. Rachel is a proud sister of Alpha Epsilon Phi and is looking forward to living in the Phi house next year. She loves tennis, writing, OPI nail polish, the Hoosiers, gummy bears, and spending time with her family and friends.Follow Rachel on twitter: @_rachelkaplan & @HerCampusIU