IU From a Freshman’s Perspective: Dorm Fire Drills

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

Hey again! Well, I made it to the end of January before the dreaded fire alarm took me out to the cold, winter night.

I was about to watch 90210 when a horrible noise came from the hall. My roommate was lying on the floor doing homework, and she just looked at me when the alarm went off. She then proceeded to ask if we absolutely had to go.

We sadly put on our coats and boots and started the walk down the eleven flights of stairs.

We shouldn’t have been complaining.

There was a guy with just a pair of shorts on who looked like he had just rolled out of bed.

The worst was the girl with wet hair, flip-flops, and a towel wrapped around her body. I think I would’ve risked catching fire, rather than go outside on a January night with no clothes on.

I guess my roommate and I assumed it was a drill because we didn’t take anything with us.

But a friend on our floor grabbed her phone, computer, and in her words, the most important thing, her birth control.

Next time, we are going to be more prepared.

When we thought the worst was over, we realized we had to walk back up those eleven flights of stairs.

I guess we should be going to the gym more because that was the hardest thing we’ve ever had to do.

We finally reached out floor and just sat on our beds and caught our breath. Then to add salt to the wound, our RA waltzed in and said, “Well, it was only a drill. You guys really could’ve just stayed in your room.”

Hopefully that will be the last time I ever have to flee from a fake fire.

~Nicole the Freshman

Molly Johnson is a junior studying journalism and political science at Indiana University. She is originally from a small town in Northwest Indiana, though traveling is one of her passions. She has studied abroad in Dublin, Ireland and Seoul, South Korea- both of which were life-changing experiences. Molly loves to read and write, and has been a reporter and desk editor at the Indiana Daily Student, IU's award-winning student newspaper, for three years. Currently she is interning at Bloom, a city magazine in Bloomington, IN. Molly plans to go on to graduate school and then pursue a career as a writer. She hopes, one day, to write a book.