How To Survive On A College Kid’s Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

So the school year is about to end.  In your mind that means Little 500 concerts, last minute dinners with your new BFF’s, and pre-summer shopping sprees. Suddenly, your heart drops as you check your bank account and realize that all of the luxuries you took part in before college are not so realistic anymore. What to do now? Here are HCIU’s helpful tips to be money savvy while trying to survive the rest of the year:

So Your Friends Ask You To Go To Dinner…
Being in college your social life is crucial. Catching an A bus to Malibu or Red Chopstix can seem like a nightly affair to you and your friends. The last thing you want to do is to not be able to dress cute and spend a night with your friends eating a great meal – instead of the usual C-store subs. So what do you do when your BFF’s want to go to an expensive dinner? Try suggesting a cheaper place to eat. We all know that girls love to eat a great salad, so instead of going to Malibu or Red Choptstix every night, try suggesting Noodles or Village Deli. These restaurants have cheaper menu options, but are just as tasty as an expensive restaurant. You do not have to cop out on hanging with your girls just because the food is a little pricy. There is always another option!

School’s Out For Summer
We have all heard the lyrics. You get that certain smell in the air that summer is quickly approaching and you instantly think of one thing — SHOPPING! Us girls have a natural tendency to want to go shopping and have the latest trends and styles for summer. But guess what? We don’t need to go on a crazed shopping spree to feed our itch to spend. Who really remembers what you wore last summer on that one day you laid out? No one. Here is a tip: It is okay to reuse last year’s summer attire. No one cares if you re-wear that one cute bikini you own. However, it is also okay to spend a little. Buy yourself one new bathing suit, or one new pair of shades. The key to summer shopping is to give yourself a budget. Tell yourself what you need, not what you want. You will be surprised how much money you are saving. Your wallet will thank you later. 

Rachel Kaplan is currently a Junior at Indiana University. She is an active writer and Campus Correspondent for the IU Chapter of Her Campus. Rachel is majoring in Journalism with a double minor in Art History and Studio Art. While originally from Philadelphia, she hopes to move to New York City after graduation and pursue a career in Public Relations. Often found in Starbucks, Rachel loves to sip on her iced coffee while she writes, edits, and brainstorms articles for HCIU. Rachel is a proud sister of Alpha Epsilon Phi and is looking forward to living in the Phi house next year. She loves tennis, writing, OPI nail polish, the Hoosiers, gummy bears, and spending time with her family and friends.Follow Rachel on twitter: @_rachelkaplan & @HerCampusIU