How To: Hot Alcoholic Drinks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

We’ve all had our fair share of pumpkin spice lattés this fall, and Starbucks has even added the chestnut praline latté to its menu. If you’re looking for a more underrated, piping hot beverage to keep you warm this winter, here is a list of a few recipes with an extra kick to them:

Broken LegIf you’re still in that hot apple cider craze, then this recipe with spiced rum has your name on it.

Ingredients:

• 1 oz Spiced rum
  • Fill w/ hot apple cider
  • Garnish w/ cinnamon stick

Note:  Make sure you heat up the apple cider before you add spiced rum.

Hot Spiced WineFeeling Parisian? Vin chaud, or hot wine, is a favorite wintertime drink in France. While there are many variations of this drink, here is a simple, yet elegant recipe that’s just perfect for the holidays.

Ingredients:

• 1 bottle of red wine (Merlot, Pinto Noir, or Burgundy)
  • 3 tbsp honey
  • 2 cinnamon sticks
  • 2 tbsp cardamom seeds
  • 1 tbsp black peppercorns
  • 1 sliced orange
  • 1 sliced lemon
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • Garnish w/cinnamon stick

Combine all the ingredients in a large saucepan, simmer for 13-15 minutes and serve into coffee mugs.

Bailey’s ChaiA chai tea latté is a perfect combination of chai tea and a steaming hot latté. Why not add a little kick to that spice with a Bailey’s Chai?

Ingredients:

• 2 oz Baileys® Original or Homemade Irish Cream
  • ½ oz vanilla flavored vodka
  • 6 oz hot chai tea (use 2 teabags for a spicier taste)

Combine Irish Cream and vanilla vodka to a mug. Top with hot chai tea. Garnish with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Voila!

Hot ToddyFor all those whiskey lovers out there.

Ingredients:

• 1 1/2 oz brandy, whiskey or rum
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1/4 lemon
  • 1 cup hot water
  • 1 tea bag

Coat the bottom of a mug or an Irish coffee glass with honey. Then, add the liquor and the juice of the lemon quarter. On the side, heat water in a teakettle and add the tea bag to make hot tea. Pour the steaming tea into the glass and stir.

If you’re more of a Fireball fan than regular whiskey, here is a quick substitute recipe. Just follow the same instruction using these ingredients instead. Pitbull would be so proud.

• Cinnamon Apple Spice tea
  • Fireball whiskey
  • Honey
  • Lemon

We ask all Collegiettes to drink responsibly and always be safe.

Natalie Rowthorn, 20, is a junior at Indiana University - Bloomington. She is a journalism major with a concentration in international studies and a minor in French.She is involved with various organizations on campus. She is on the social committee for Independent Council and Treasurer of Club Field Hockey. Natalie is also the Vice President of She's the First at IU, a non-profic organization dedicated to sponsoring girls' education in the developing world.Natalie is on the Opinion Editorial Board of the student-run campus newspaper, the Indiana Daily Student. She is also a staff writer for College Lifestyles Indiana University Satellite.Her hobbies/addictions include French cuisine, world travel, Cheerios, and spontaneous photo-bombing.