How-To: Celebrate Halloween in Bad Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

Unfortunately, B-Town forecasters are calling for rain, wind and storms during the night collegiettes have been anticipating since Oct. 1. There’s not only a 100 percent chance of rain and storms, but winds are said to sweep Bloomington at a whopping 40 mph throughout the night. We, at HCIU, imagine you’re now nearly on the verge of a panic attack – you just sacrificed x-amount of cash that you’d otherwise spend on cover fees for a costume that has a no-return policy and/or you’ve already spent y-amount of hours on your DIY Halloween costume, which is more than likely non-waterproof. Don’t worry collegiettes; HCIU has a survival guide for a worse-than-humid Halloween.

Obviously, waterproof cosmetics are a must for this year’s Halloween festivities. If you don’t already have waterproof mascara or eyeliner, you have two options – pay a visit to CVS and purchase some or don’t wear any at all. Despite an umbrella, rain will most definitely collide with your luscious lashes and soon your sexy witch costume will become a reality as your makeup melts away. Although your mascara and eyeliner are likely to be attacked first by the storms, other made-up facial features matter too. First, go easy with the color. Halloween is the most acceptable time to experiment with your makeup routine; however, a rainy Hallows’ Eve is a perfect excuse to put the rainbowed makeup palette away for one more night. Instead, play up your eyes with more neutral colors with looks like a smoky eye or a subtle cat eye. The same rule of neutrals applies to your cheekbones as well. Because you’ll be walking through cold weather, your nose and cheeks will naturally blush as you party hop, so we advise collegiettes to shy away from applying additional color. Lastly, HCIU suggests dressing your pout in a lip stain rather than a stick or gloss. Stains will not only last you all night, but they’ll provide you with a matte feature that’ll complement your bound-to-be dewy look.

The next step to a successfully stormy Halloween is based on your wardrobe choices. Although Halloween often calls for less than classy exposure, covering up on your way to and from your festivities is a necessity. Investing in a chic, yet affordable jacket will not only come in handy on Halloween, but also during the cold months that follow. You’ll also want to bring a collapsible umbrella that will neatly fit in your purse. As we share this piece of advice regarding outerwear, HCIU is well aware that carrying extra belongings is a far from appealing idea; however, a stab at resolving said dilemma is a piece of cake. Simply and politely ask the host if you could house your belongings in a private room for the duration of your stay. If a host is reluctant, and as all collegiettes know, a little flirting can go a long way. Note: Leaving your belongings in a host’s room is also a perfect excuse to get their number. Another option is to incorporate your outerwear into your costume. A little research and creativity can transform any item of clothing into a brand new look. Besides outerwear, tights and closed-toed shoes are also fabulous ideas for staying dry and warm this holiday. Even if they’re thin, tights will keep your bare strut from sprouting goose bumps. Closed-toed shoes will also keep your soles from slipping and sliding.

Lastly, it’s important to maintain a positive and poised attitude. Don’t let a little, or a lot of, rain keep you from having the best Halloween yet. Even if your final look isn’t exactly what you had in mind, a comfortable body will lead to a confident mind. Remember, a warm collegiette is a smart collegiette. HCIU wishes Hoosiers a dry and happy Halloween.

Kelsey is a junior at Indiana University where she is majoring in journalism and concentrating in informatics. She began her Her Campus experience as a contributing writer in Fall 2012. Kelsey was incredibly excited to begin her new role on the HCIU team as co-campus correspondent last fall. When she's not studying or writing, Kelsey enjoys a sipping a strong cup o' joe, reviving thrift store wardrobes and drooling over Netflix eye candy.