The Foods to Keep You Focused During Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

Studying for finals can be exhausting, whether you’re cramming in the library, meeting with group projects, or pulling an all-nighter– especially if you aren’t eating right. The stress takes a toll on your brain, so it’s important to give your body the healthy nutrients it needs to keep sharp. Eating right can largely impact concentration and focus, and can hopefully score you a few extra points on your exams!

Glucose. Your body cannot survive without sugar– now don’t take this as a sign to dive into a candy bar because those unhealthy sugars will make you crash. Try an orange or an apple for a quick boost of energy needed right before a test. It’s proven that increased glucose intake affects memory and thinking ability. Even bring a piece of fruit with you to the library; when you feel yourself fading after hours of studying, it can spike your energy fast!

Whole Grains. A diet full of whole grains helps lower cholesterol and reduces the risk of heart disease. And when studying for finals, whole grains help your blood flow and circulate throughout the body, pumping more blood into each organ, especially your brain. The blood flow overall enhances your ability to stay focused and sharp.

Chocolate. Could it be true? Chocolate could actually be good for you? YES, well dark chocolate, that is. Dark chocolate is healthy in small doses. Scientists have found that it has many healthy antioxidants that help enhance focus. Dark chocolate also contains caffeine, satisfying your sweet tooth and giving you well-needed energy. What else could you possibly ask for?

Nuts. Omega-3 fatty acids are extremely beneficial to student health. Increasing your omega-3 intake around final season can really make a difference in your memory and brainpower. You’ll be able to stay longer in the library (yay), spend more time studying (oh baby), and have an easier time memorizing material (wooohooo). Nuts are loaded with omega-3 and good-for-you fatty acids. But consume in small doses, a small handful of nuts goes a long way. And for those with nut allergies, find your omega-3 from somewhere else. Avocadoes are also notoriously high in healthy fats.

Leafy Greens. You may think you’re doing your body good by eating a salad with any ‘ole lettuce but THINK AGAIN. Ditch iceberg and romaine and opt for kale and spinach instead. Iceberg and romaine offer little nutritional value. Kale and spinach, on the other hand, are loaded with antioxidants and vitamin B. They are proven to improve brain strength, memory, and focus. Also, these leafy greens contain folic acid, increasing mental clarity and keeping your brain concentrated all day long.

Blueberries. They may be small, but don’t let their size fool you. These little guys pack so many nutrients that you wouldn’t even believe– a true superfruit, if you will. Blueberries contain many antioxidants proven to boost memory and increase brain attention for up to five hours. Similar to whole grains, the antioxidants help circulate blood flow to the entire body, clarifying your brain and overall improving your wellbeing.

Now obviously it’s impractical to eat a handful of blueberries for breakfast, lunch, and dinner but it’s not hard to incorporate these nutrient-filled brain foods into your daily food routine. You’ll figure it’s actually not that hard to trade iceberg for spinach, white for wheat, or milk chocolate for dark.

Title Credit Image*