kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Quick Breakfast Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

It may be one of the most stressful weeks of the year, but that doesn’t mean you have to skip out on the most important meal of the day.  In general, college students are notorious for skipping breakfast.  When staying up late studying and writing papers, it can be really easy to hit the snooze button one too many times.  For some, getting more sleep means skipping breakfast.  However, this might be doing you more harm than good.  Studies have shown that eating a nutritious breakfast keeps you focused, alert, and can also help keep off weight-gain by jump-starting your metabolism.

So, here are some of our favorite, fast, nutritious breakfast ideas.  They’re all 350 calories or less and will keep you going until lunchtime.

Yogurt, granola, and fruit – A low-fat yogurt cup is a great way to start the day.  By adding some fruit and granola, you add a bit more bulk to the meal, which will keep you full longer.  Vanilla yogurt with granola and banana slices is one of our favorite options.

Oatmeal – Instant oatmeal is one of the best breakfast options for a collegiette on-the-go.  It’s super filling and warm (which is great for this time of the year).  The versatility of oatmeal is another reason this breakfast is ideal.  It keeps you full and can be mixed with almost anything.  Our favorite oatmeal option?  PB&J oatmeal!  Plain oatmeal mixed with a dollop of peanut butter and jelly. Yum.

Toast – Breakfast can’t get much easier than a piece of toast with 2 tbsps of peanut butter.  It’s the perfect combination of protein and fiber – gives you energy and keeps you full.  Sprinkle on some raisins or spread some preserves for an extra boost.  If you have a bit more time, top the toast with peanut butter and banana slices and drizzle with honey.

Cereal – A delicious, classic breakfast.  Look for cereal that is high in fiber and has few ingredients.  A half a cup of low-cal granola with a splash of unsweetened almond milk is a great option.  However, be careful when it comes to choosing your cereals.  Some claim to be healthy but are very high in sugar.  Stick to brands like Kashi and Nature’s Path.  Both are organic and use all-natural ingredients.

Overnight Oats – Worried about not having enough time in the morning to prepare something?  Make your breakfast the night before!  Here’s an overnight oat recipe (adapted from Skinnytaste.com)

1 pack of instant oatmeal (plain)

1/2 cup unsweented almond milk (soy or skim milk would work too)

1 mini pack of raisins

1 tsp flax seed (optional: adds extra fiber and omega-3’s)

Sprinkle of cinnamon and/or brown sugar

A few drops of vanilla extract

Put all ingredients into a ball jar.  Place lid on top.  Shake and place in fridge overnight.  In the morning add in a few walnuts and enjoy. 

Note: Depending on the products used, these can all be vegan and/or gluten-free.