10 Things That Perfectly Describe Your Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

1.  Ordering food after a night out. Btown Menus and S2YD became your best friends. They have been there for you when you were craving a salad from Butches, chicken fingers from Buffalouie’s, or wings from Wings Xtreme. Most of all, you never underestimated the power of Pizza X- this was the most important call of them all. Nothing trumped the excitement of answering your phone to the delivery man when he called to let you know he was outside. 

2.  The A Bus. This was the one thing that I worshipped the most. This campus is way too big to walk everywhere. Learning the A route probably is the smartest thing one can ever do.

3.  Mastering the drunken SnapChat story. It’s Saturday night, you are loving your outfit, you feel good- you’re ready; tonight’s going to be an epic night. But what does it all mean if you can’t capture it via SnapChat to show off to all of your friends?

4.  Stocking Up on Indiana Apparel. Finding the perfect tailgate outfit was always the world’s biggest struggle. The workers at Tracks knew your name and size by heart. Your parents constantly nagging you for exorbitant spending on tanks, tees, overalls, sweatshirts, sweatpants, shorts, socks, stickers, tattoos, you name it. They just didn’t get it; you needed to rock your Hoosier pride! (Gotta be honest though, this obsession will never end)

5.  NETFLIX. It is an addiction. There is nothing more satisfying then procrastinating with some great binge Netflix watching. I mean, what will give you more life lessons? Gossip Girl or Finite? I think we all know the answer there.

6.  8 AMs. The one thing that sucks about a big school, freshman pick classes last. It is likely that a freshman schedule is filled with the dreaded 8 AMs on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday in Ballantine. This taught you to never take classes before 11:15 again!

7.  Parent Weekend Dinner at Malibu Grill. Nothing screamed freshman more than taking your parents to Malibu Grill during parent weekend. The hour-long wait didn’t stop you, and you didn’t even care if you ran into the person you hooked up with last weekend. It is almost a rite of passage to eat at Malibu with your parents at least once.

8.  Cabs. There is nothing more important than finding one great cab driver that got you from anywhere at any time. The day you got his number, you saved it and treasured it forever. This number was on your speed dial list higher than your parents and best friends. You didn’t even care that you got ripped off and overpaid twenty bucks for a cab every time!

9.  Drunken Conversations with Randoms at a Party. You bonded with some girl waiting in line for the bathroom, shared your life stories, and then somehow got her number. You wake up the next day with random texts on your phone and have no idea how they got there and who they were from.

10.  Getting Lost. Getting lost was the epitome of freshman year. I can’t even count the amount of times that I’ve walked into the wrong class or wrong building. IU’s campus is like a maze and nothing makes you feel more like a freshman then whipping out a campus map to help you navigate.