10 Halloween Costumes You Can Create With Everyday Items

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

Every college girl knows the struggle of staring at your closet for hours on end trying to find the perfect party outfit, only to discover that your wardrobe is completely drab and needs a revival. For a holiday as monumental as Halloween, every girl deserves to feel and look amazing, regardless of the clothing in her closet. Her Campus IU discovered ten classic Halloween costumes that any girl can create with everyday, basic items.

1. Bank Robber.This costume is so simple, anyone can create it! Although it is basic, it is still versatile and unique and can be paired with a number of cute accessories. Just throw on a striped tee and black pants with some classic red lipstick. Make a mask by cutting two holes for eyes out of a piece of old, black fabric. Top it off with a black beanie and a basic black tote with a dollar sign attached, and you are ready to hit the town (or the bank).

2. Rosie The Riveter. What is more empowering than representing the OG feminist? This costume is so cute and comfortable, as well as a great way to promote gender-equality. Pair a chambray shirt and a red bandana. Finally, throw on some red lipstick to tie the look together!

3. Boo from Monsters Inc. What is more adorable than turning back the clock and morphing into one of the characters from your favorite childhood movie? Pair an oversized, pink tee with purple pants or leggings and a pair of converse and you are set. Put your hair in high pigtails to get the complete look.

4. Scarecrow. Don’t be fooled, this costume is effortlessly sweet and is guaranteed to get compliments. Find an old flannel. You CANNOT go wrong with a men’s flannel, so here is a good excuse to steal one from your boyfriend or the cute guy from across the hall. Pair the flannel with a pair of distressed jeans or overalls. Finally, style your hair to purposely create the “bedhead” look and use eyeliner and blush to create a scarecrow face. Top it off with a cute, brown floppy hat.

5. Damian from Mean Girls. Recreate a look from one of the most iconic chick flicks of all time! Pair a blue, basic hoodie with a pair of oversized sunglasses. Top it off with a homemade sign that says, “She doesn’t even go here!” This will guarantee a good laugh from everyone at the party.

6. Taylor Swift from the 1989 Album. If you’ve ever imagined what it’d be like to be Taylor Swift for a day, here’s the next best thing! Pair a blue tee with a pair of round, red-rimmed sunglasses and red lips. Straighten your hair to complete the look. To tie it all together, buy a poster board and cut a rectangle out of it to create a polaroid shape. Write T.S. 1989 to finish it off.

7. Puppet​. This costume is perfect for the beauty guru! Find a white button up and a bowtie and pair it with black pants. Lastly, use basic eyeliner, blush, and white eyeshadow to transform into the perfect puppet.

8. Audrey Hepburn. For a timeless, classy look that won’t break the bank, Audrey Hepburn is the perfect costume. First, pair a black dress with black heels and black gloves. Toss in some pearl earrings and necklaces and a crown on top of a high bun and you are all set! If you really want to go the extra mile, add in a cigarette holder.

9. 3 Blind Mice. This costume is perfect for your girl gang! All you need is a black dress and some oversized sunnies. You can purchase a pair of mouse ears, or you can make some with a black headband and two circular pieces of black cardboard.

10. “Baby One More Time” Britney Spears. Let’s be real, a good 90’s costume is ALWAYS a good idea. Mimic this classic Britney look by pairing a white button up and a gray cardigan with a skater skirt and knee socks. Complete this look with pigtails and pink puffy hair ties.

Title Image Source*