The Wrecking Ball Hit Miley and Liam’s Engagement

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

As of yesterday, Miley Cyrus will twerk solo. According to her rep, Miley’s engagement to Liam Hemsworth is officially over. The two announced their engagement in June 2012 but the road has been rocky ever since. It really was only a matter of time before the ring was officially off.

Liam and Miley met on the set of their movie, The Last Song, where there was clearly more chemistry than just on the beach. Pictures of the couple kissing surfaced and in September 2009, they confirmed that they were dating. Their puppy romance lasted until August 2010, but then Liam and Miley reconciled a month later. After a few months dating, they broke up again in November. Finally, they got back together in April 2011 and were engaged June 2012.

Just like their relationship, Miley and Liam’s engagement was messy as well. A few months following their engagement, Miley chopped off her beautiful locks to transform her public image. Then Miley becomes a twerking queen, wears little clothing, creates avant-garde music videos, and stars in controversial performances. In the meantime, Liam is nowhere to be found and even is accused of cheating with January Jones. The ring is constantly on and off Miley’s finger and last weekend she stopped following Liam on Twitter, which was the final sign of a split before the confirmed reports.

Since their engagement announcement, I was awaiting their breakup. This is not because I wanted them to breakup; I just know the realities of their engagement. First of all 19-years-old is too young to be engaged, especially since Liam was her first love. While Miley had to grow up faster than us due to the industry, it does not mean that she has to be “an adult” in her love life. Actually she needs to be more like an adult in other aspects rather than her love life. Apparently, she is on this journey to find who she wants to be in as an artist and that is hard to do in a relationship, let alone a public relationship. She even tells Harper’s Baazer in its recent issue, “I was an adult when I was supposed to be a kid. So now I’m an adult and I’m acting like a kid.”

In regards to Liam, he is pretty successful but not as much as Miley. He has been starring in more movies lately, but his marriage to Miley could have certainly held him back. If I were in his position, I would have established myself in the industry more before getting involved with Miley. Then again, when they met, Miley had a completely different public image. He probably fell in love with the Miley of 2009, who is no longer around.

Basically, this situation is the best for them. Miley needs to do some more self-discovery and Liam needs to enjoy being his beautiful and single self.  If the past is any indication, maybe they will get back together but my gut, the one that also knew they would never get married, knows this is for good. Well, young love is grand while it lasts but this time it can stop.

Hi HC readers!! My name is Carly and I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Ithaca College. I am currently majoring in Integrated Marketing Communications and minoring in Communication Management and Design and the Honors Program.  When I am not focusing on my studies or Her Campus, I enjoy singing, shopping, and watching reality television shows. I love writing and I am glad I am able to express my thoughts through Her Campus Ithaca. If you go to Ithaca and would love to get involved in writing for or promoting HCIC, send me an email at carlyschneer@hercampus.com. Keep Calm and Read On!