Unbound 20th Anniversary Performer, Hikari Leon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Celebrating 20 years at IC, Unbound Dance Company’s spring performance “TURN IT UP” will be taking place Sunday 4/22 in Emerson Suites. 

Name: Hikari Leon

Major: Television & Radio

Year/Class: Junior, Class of 2019

Her Campus Ithaca College: How does it feel to be part of Unbound’s 20th anniversary show?

Hikari Leon: Knowing that I will be apart of IC Unbound’s 20th anniversary show blows my mind! It absolutely amazes me how far this company has come and I am incredibly blessed to be involved with such a wonderful group of dancers. Each and every single one of us have put an enormous amount of time and work into putting this performance together, and I can’t wait for all of our friends and family to enjoy the show!

HCIC: What can the audience expect from this performance?

HL: After a sold out show last semester, “TURN IT UP” is IC Unbound’s highly anticipated Spring 2018 performance of student choreography, talent, and passion for movement. The show includes dances of all styles from contemporary and lyrical, to hip-hop and tap.

HCIC: Do you have any pre-show rituals that you do before a performance?

HL: One of the best parts about show-day is the executive board’s pre-show Collegetown Bagel run. Every semester before the show, our E-Board will meet at Campus Center around 7:00am to carpool down to the commons and get all of our dancers bagels and coffee.

HCIC: What’s the most rewarding part of being involved in IC Unbound?

HL: The most rewarding part of being involved in IC Unbound are all of the amazing people that I’ve gotten the chance to work with. Not only do I consider the other E-board members like my second family, but they are also the people that I can truly count on. I will undoubtedly look back at my experience here with this company with nothing but love and fond memories of our genuine friendship. As we like to say here at IC Unbound, “It’s not just a dance company, it’s an experience.”

Joanna is a senior Applied Psychology major at Ithaca College from Rochester, NY.