This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

In this highly competitive world, having professional experience in your field is the deciding factor. Not only will having kick-a** internships on your future resumes give you a leg up with employers, but it will also give you an understanding of what exactly it is you want to do after college. ‘Tis the season to start looking for these tidbits of experience, but where to start?! 

Finding internships is a hard task; there are so many resources, and most people do not know where to start looking. Sometimes it seems that there are no resources at all for your field of study! It’s all very overwhelming, so we decided to make this a little bit easier with a few tips and tricks on how to comb through piles and piles of options and opportunities.

Check out Your School’s Career Advisor/Services: 

This might seem like a slight no-brainer, but the best place for guidance are your on-campus professionals. The people in these offices are there to help you get on track with your career. Most schools have people tailored to particular fields. They have access to a web of alumni that usually are more than willing to help up-and-coming graduates find the right internship for their next step. The Office of Career Services is always a good place to start when you don’t know where to look.

Use All-Mighty Google:  

When looking for internships, you have to be specific with your search words. You should include the geographical location and industry in your search to find websites that are more specific to your needs, instead of the massive internship searches that make it seem like there is nothing available for your field. Here are websites that will typically show up when searches aren’t narrowed: 

Explore Family and Friend Connections: 

You may have someone in your family who is involved in the industry, or who has friends and colleagues that have the experience you are looking for. This is an excellent way to make the search a little simpler because this enables you to talk to people who are already involved in the job you want.  Asking them for advice on applications, or to take you under their wing as a mentor, could lead to a (hopefully!) great work experience on the way.

Talk to Professors: 

Professors usually have something going on during the summer; they do not just sit around counting the days until August. Some may be working on research, other may be filming documentaries; typically they are applying what you are taught in class to the real world. They may be able to give you an opportunity to work with them. 

PC: 1, 2

Ithaca College 2018 • Journalism • International PoliticsI am from the Colombia and the Dominican Republic, have a love for monograms and monochromes. Black is my essence but greys are ok too. http://www.thepucsh.com