Spring Trend Fashion Report

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

While we’re still stuck wearing our winter parkas and snow boots in the middle of March (typical Ithaca), we’re looking forward to the days when we can sit out on the quad and enjoy the few weeks of Ithaca spring before we head back home. A new season comes with new outfits and trends. Of course, florals are popular, but they’re popular every spring. Let’s take a look at this year’s more unique and less redundant trends.

1. Light-Wash Denim. There is something inherently spring-like about light-wash denim. While dark-wash is flattering and can be dressed up, light wash is more laid-back and perfect for soaking in the sun. This season, try a light-denim oversized button-down, vest, jacket, shorts, or even a pair of overalls like these by Nasty Gal (nastygal.com).

2. Printed Pants. As internship application and interview season is in full swing, we must start to think about how we want to present ourselves to our potential future employers. A conventional grey or black pant-suit or blazer and skirt combination may seem like a safe bet, but if you want to be a little more daring and confident, rock a pair of printed pants. As always, it depends on what type of job and at what company you are interviewing at, but printed pants, a simple blouse, sharp blazer, and a pair of kitten heels or flats can make for an unexpected and fresh take on professional wear. This silk pair from J.Crew (jcrew.com) is on the top of our wishlists. 

3.  Skater Skirts. A skater skirt is like the Zooey Deschanel of skirts; It’s slightly quirky, versatile, and truly lovable. They can be found in a huge variety of colors, materials and patterns—appropriate for day or night. We love how they flatter all body types by cinching the waist and then flaring out. This galaxy printed one from ASOS (asos.com) is fun and ready for a night out!

4.  Military. Army green looks great on every complexion and with every hair color. Military-style jackets are perfect for the spring as they are not too heavy, but they still provide needed warmth from the cool Ithaca winds. If you’re a little more adventurous, go for a pair of skinny jeans in army green, like this pair from 7 For All Mankind (7forallmankind.com).

5.  90s Crop Tops. Ah, the 90s. The days of The Spice Girls, jelly sandals, Tamagotchis, and Lisa Frank everything. Maybe we just want to relive our childhood through what we wear, but we really adore crop tops. Pair yours with a pair of high-waisted jeans and booties or a flowy skirt and combat boots, and you’ll be feeling Topanga-fabulous. Check out vintage stores and sites for one-of-a-kind pieces like this one from user ParadisePrairie on Etsy (etsy.com).

6. Oxfords. Oxfords are comfortable, stylish, and can be worn with almost anything. This season, you will find them in a wide variety of prints and colors. They are a great way to add a pop of color or fun to an outfit. We love the pastel two-tone “Andi” flat by Sam Edelman.

IC 2015 TV-R major. Loves holidays of all types, concerts, and exploring cities around the world.
Hi HC readers!! My name is Carly and I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Ithaca College. I am currently majoring in Integrated Marketing Communications and minoring in Communication Management and Design and the Honors Program.  When I am not focusing on my studies or Her Campus, I enjoy singing, shopping, and watching reality television shows. I love writing and I am glad I am able to express my thoughts through Her Campus Ithaca. If you go to Ithaca and would love to get involved in writing for or promoting HCIC, send me an email at carlyschneer@hercampus.com. Keep Calm and Read On!