The Six Types of Friends You Make in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

1.The Roommate

Sure, living with a virtual stranger can be awkward, as the two of you first met in cyberspace through a compatibility website your college designed. In what can only be described as bizarre online dating, you try and scope out the person that’s the best match for you. It’s a little uncomfortable, but the more you get to know your roommate, she becomes one of your closest friends in the span of just a few months. You go to sleep and wake up together and are bound to get to know each other very well. The roommate is the one you unwind with and sometimes spend hours on a Friday night talking to instead of going out —you vent, rant and laugh endlessly with her. She becomes the person you can open up to and have candid discussions with. During a hard day you may receive a text from her with the caption, “found this for you” and it’s a hilarious post from Tumblr. The two of you have seen the good, the bad and the ugly, but you love each other anyway.

2. The Best Friend

This is the girl you instantly clicked with and feel like you have known your entire life. A time existed where you didn’t know her? Nope, that seems impossible. The two of you talk about everything and anything and can have nonstop conversations no matter the time or place. You make each other laugh over the most ridiculous things, and seeing one another instantly makes you smile. She is the one you truly connect with and is always there for you. Whether it’s doing your makeup on a Saturday night, making you mac and cheese because she knows you haven’t eaten all day or buying you tea when you’re sick, you know you can depend on her. The two of you have already made plans to move in together after graduation and agree to make sense of the finances later (we’ll figure it out eventually). Guys love your best friend because she’s beautiful and fun, but you love her because she’s an amazing person.  

3. The One Who Just Discovered Partying

This girl stayed in on Friday and Saturday nights in high school. Going to a party just wasn’t on her radar and, if it was, she had no interest in going. But college is a different world. Now she goes out on Thursday nights and posts Snapchats of herself getting drunk with some pretty questionable people. Texts at 3 a.m. flood your phone as she describes her night with that special someone. The messages are graphic, with a million winking, blushing and embarrassed emojis entwined throughout this confession. This girl is unabashedly funny and outgoing, but her hard-partying lifestyle is beginning to concern you.

4. The Mom

This friend is the one who holds your hair back when you’re vomiting your brains out and always watches out for you. The sober monitor of the group, she keeps a watchful eye over her friends, especially when they have had a little too much to drink. When you leave a party this girl does a headcount and shouts over the loud crowd and music, “DO WE HAVE EVERYONE?” as she grabs her friends’ hands and leads them into the cab she has already called. When the mom doesn’t go out, she texts her group to make sure everyone is okay and even checks their Snapchat stories for good measure. The mom is the one who tells her friends to “text me when you get back so I know you’re safe.” This friend is wary and watchful, but it’s only because she cares.

5. The One Who Can Balance Her Life

This girl can stay out until 2 a.m. and wake up slightly hungover, but she still manages to pull herself out of bed obscenely early, hit the gym and ace her test. This is the friend who makes you question how she functions as a person. How can she balance all of those aspects in her life? This girl is running to several different club meetings after a long day of class while you are just trying to get your bearings. Slightly superhuman, this friend manages to effortlessly balance work and play, leaving you reeling with envy and admiration.

6. The Shut-In

This girl doesn’t really leave her room. When you offer to hangout or do something fun for the weekend, she makes it pretty clear she would prefer to stay in and watch Netflix. You’ll occasionally see her in the dining hall, and it feels like a divine moment —YOU’RE ALIVE!! She probably instantly regrets being spotted. This friend is awesome, but you would like to see her more than once a week (or semester).

Image Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6