Simple Yoga Techniques that Improve your Lifestyle!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Before late January, I had been to two yoga classes in my entire life… and I hated them! I quit the track team because I needed a break from the sport, so on my mother’s recommendation, I tried yoga again. I’ve been attending yoga classes about five times a week for almost three months now and I’m loving it! I’ve found that yoga has changed my life outside of the fitness center as well.

How can you use yoga principles to enhance your life? Read on!

1. When things get too stressful, stop and take a few deep breaths.   

It sounds really simple and it is. If your homework load seems unmanageable or roommate drama has you pulling your hair out, close your eyes. Take a deep breath in, trying to make your inhale and exhale last at least four seconds. Don’t you feel better already?

2. If you feel tired, do cross body stretches.

Tons of research has shown that by doing cross-body movements, you wake up and engage your brain better than you can from taking a nap! Stand up and touch your left foot with your right hand. Then swap a few times. Stuck in class? Take your left hand and tap the outside of your right knee. Then switch. Now enjoy the extra energy!

3. If everything feels tight, try to stretch your spine.

In the cold (which Ithacans know far too much about), people tend to scrunch up their muscles and bodies. Give yourself a break and stand straight up, reaching your arms up to the sky. Try and feel your rib cage expand up as much as you can. Then fold over and try to touch your toes. Do this a few times to feel the contrast of the movements.

These few things can keep you relaxed and refreshed as we enter the homestretch of spring semester!

Hailing from a horse farm in northern Massachusetts, I'm a junior at Ithaca majoring in integrated marketing communication and minoring in legal studies, sports studies and communication management and design. In my spare time, I like to do anything active - run, do yoga, ride horses, hike, you name it!
Hi HC readers!! My name is Carly and I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Ithaca College. I am currently majoring in Integrated Marketing Communications and minoring in Communication Management and Design and the Honors Program.  When I am not focusing on my studies or Her Campus, I enjoy singing, shopping, and watching reality television shows. I love writing and I am glad I am able to express my thoughts through Her Campus Ithaca. If you go to Ithaca and would love to get involved in writing for or promoting HCIC, send me an email at carlyschneer@hercampus.com. Keep Calm and Read On!