element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Santa Approved: The Best Christmas Movies of All Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

It’s finally that time of year where you can listen to all the Christmas music you want, drink hot chocolate and fully immerse yourself in the Christmas spirit.

Here’s a list of some of the best Christmas movies to really get you in the holiday spirit:

1. Elf (2003)

This movie follows Buddy, a human living among elves, as he makes the journey to a wonderful place called New York City.

While in the “Big Apple”, Buddy meets his dad, gets a job and even falls in love. Throughout the movie, he makes it his mission to spread Christmas cheer to those who have lost it.

Let’s face it, it’s not actually Christmas if you haven’t watched Elf.

2. Home Alone (1990)

Home Alone (the first movie; not the second, and definitely not the third) is about Kevin McCallister, played by the adorable Macaulay Culkin, who wishes for his family to disappear. Unfortunately (or fortunately) for him, his wish comes true.

For some reason, his mother does not realize that her son is missing until she is already on the plane to Paris. Meanwhile, her son is on his own, plotting against two robbers.

Home Alone has taught me a lot, but most of all, this movie taught me how to strategically take down two robbers using various household items.

3. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (1964)

This movie practically screams nostalgia. The classic stop-motion film tells the story of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, which I’m sure we all know thanks to years of Christmas caroling. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer always has a spot on ABC Family’s “25 Days of Christmas.” I have watched this movie every Christmas for as long as I can remember, as I’m sure a lot of people have.

4. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)

Ironically, this movie about the Grinch trying to ruin Christmas makes for a great Christmas movie. This movie adaptation of Dr. Suess’ Christmas tale teaches us that Christmas is not about gifts and material possessions; it’s about spending time with family, friends and your community.

5. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

This Halloween/Christmas hybrid movie mixes arguably the two best holidays. Filled with music and humor, this movie is a definite must-watch during the Christmas season.

Image Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8