Sanitation Style: Heron Preston Stuns at NYFW

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Numerous stunning collections graced the runways of New York Fashion Week this season, but one collection grabbed our attention in a totally unexpected way. Streetwear designer Heron Preston, best known for his work on Yeezy Season 1, debuted his collection of trash-collector uniforms from the New York City Department of Sanitation (DSNY) at the Spring Street Salt Shed. The DSNY workers were Preston’s major inspiration for the line.

“They were the true unsung heroes of New York, working day and night, 24/7 to keep [the city] clean and livable for us,” Preston said. The designer wanted to challenge himself with this project by thinking outside of the box, paying tribute to hardworking civilians along the way. The clothing was also intended to raise awareness for the 0x30 Campaign, the City’s goal to send zero waste to landfills by 2030. Preston “up-cycled” DSNY uniforms in an effort to make a statement about sustainable fashion.

Preston’s innovative presentation certainly stood apart from the fashion typically seen at New York Fashion Week. In recent years, the fashion world has become progressively more involved in social causes. Many would say that this is another step in the right direction for the industry. After all, fashion is not simply about the clothing. Fashion also represents people, cultures and what is happening in the world today. 

1

Ithaca College 2018. Integrated Marketing Communications.