Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting: How To Heal The Heartache

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Addition and subtraction, snack time, Bill Nye the Science Guy, show and tell; these are the things that a child in elementary school should look forward to every day. Unfortunately, 20 children of Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, C.T. were tragically taken from these activities on the doomed morning of December 14, 2012, along with six incredibly courageous adults.

Whether you live in Connecticut, on the east coast, in a different time zone, or even a different country, there is something you can do for these families and friends in need. A tragedy like this should never fall upon anyone.

Here are three ways you can help heal those affected:

1. The Newtown Memorial Fund: A local resident of Newtown, C.T. has set up the non-profit Newtown Memorial Fund. By going to this website, you can donate online or by mail.

2. The United Way of West Connecticut: This website is accepting donations on behalf of the families of the victims.

3. Newtown Youth and Family Services: This website takes donations for many loved ones

Sometimes, we complain about the most absurd things: a difficult class, too much work to do, and a weekend gone wrong. However, the truth is we have to appreciate everything life offers us and do our best to help others in a time like this. All of our hearts at HCIC are in Newtown and may those beloved students and faculty whose lives were so prematurely taken rest forever in peace. #PrayForNewtown

Broadcast Journalism Major, a.k.a. TVR with a minor in Journalism. Aspiring entertainment/sports reporter. I'm crafty, I like red skittles and sometimes I wish I were Holly Golightly. Follow me on twitter, @LynziDeLuccia ! #please
Hi HC readers!! My name is Carly and I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Ithaca College. I am currently majoring in Integrated Marketing Communications and minoring in Communication Management and Design and the Honors Program.  When I am not focusing on my studies or Her Campus, I enjoy singing, shopping, and watching reality television shows. I love writing and I am glad I am able to express my thoughts through Her Campus Ithaca. If you go to Ithaca and would love to get involved in writing for or promoting HCIC, send me an email at carlyschneer@hercampus.com. Keep Calm and Read On!