Wellness > Health

My Top 6 Tricks on Getting Past Gym Anxiety

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Whether you haven’t worked out in a while or it’s your first time ever going to the gym, finding the courage and motivation to work out can be hard. After I stopped working out for a good 6 months, it took me a while to find the confidence to start working out again. I was scared that working out would be painful, people would judge me and I wouldn’t get the results I wanted. It’s been about 4 weeks since I started working out again, and I can’t get enough of it! Here are some of my top tricks on how I got myself working out again.

Start Small

If you push yourself too hard on your first day at the gym, you’re less likely to want to go back. You’re better off sticking to short, low-intensity workout for the first few weeks by using the elliptical, mat workouts, dumbbells and going for walks instead of runs on the treadmill. Also, there’s no pressure to go to the gym every day, just going three times a week is a great way to get yourself pumped so you can workout more often later on.

Go With a Friend

When you work out in a group or with another person, you’re more likely to hold each other accountable for your workout. On those days when you have no energy to head out to the gym, even if it’s close by, having a friend to encourage you to tag along can go a long way. You can also do the same for your friends and eventually going to the gym might be something you look forward to doing with friends you don’t get to see very often. Of course, throughout the semester your schedules might not always match up, but for the first few weeks, a friend can be the support system you need to feel less self-conscious and more motivated when you workout.

Eat Good, Feel Good!

There’s this bizarre idea that if you workout, you can eat whatever you want but that couldn’t be further from the truth. Eating as healthy as you can afford to while working out is a great way to fuel your body so you can push yourself harder and longer when you work out.

Try Taking Fitness Classes

There’s no rule book that says the only way you can work out effectively is by using gym equipment. If you’re like me, the equipment can get old after a while, so challenging yourself to take a cycling class, a Zumba class or even a body pump class at your school gym, for at least 3 times a week, is a great way to get your body moving. You can meet other people who are trying to get into shape too.

Look Cute

I honestly think when you look good, you feel good so don’t be afraid to pick up some cute workout gear. I used to always hide under baggy shirts, sweatpants, and sweaters; all it did was make me feel more self-conscious and super sweaty. Light workout gear that complements your fashion sense is a great way to get excited about working out and you feel great when you head out to the gym.

Don’t worry about what people are thinking

I think what’s always been hardest for me about working out is this fear that I’m being stared. In reality, everyone at the gym is too busy working on themselves to notice what you’re doing. When you happen to get a couple of trailing eyes looking at you while you workout, don’t let it get to you. Remind yourself why you’re here. You’re here to take care of yourself. You’re here to get stronger. You’re here for no one else but yourself, so don’t let haters get you down.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Morriah is a quirky but confident introvert who's absolutely obsessed with Thai food and niche film and TV. She enjoys blogging about being an introvert in an extroverted world and navigating relationships, anxiety, and body image.