Meet IC’s Only Sorority: Jamie Asreen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Gamma Delta Pi (GDP) is the only sorority centered here at Ithaca College. However, it is a social service sorority that is affiliated with the town of Ithaca and not the college. Gamma Delta Pi’s motto is: women, loyalty, and democracy. Currently there are 26 members and 8 new girls are in the process of becoming sisters. The main focus of GDP is sisterhood and women empowerment.

Year: Class of 2017

Hometown: Metuchen, NJ

Major: CMD with a concentration in Corporate Communications and a Deaf Studies minor

Favorite Activity in Ithaca: Going to Dolce. No, going to Carriage House! So worth it.

Her Campus Ithaca College: So why did you join Gamma Delta Pi?

Jamie Asreen: Well my whole family is in Greek life, so I grew up hearing all of my mom’s, aunts’, and cousins’ stories about it and how much they loved it. They’re all still involved and it seemed like a really cool thing to have that connection for the rest of my life. I’ve just always wanted to be a part of it! I met Lauren Skovira (GDP’s current president) freshman year and became good friends with her. That same year she joined the sorority and I had no idea IC had one, but once I did, it was too late in the semester for me to join. So I just joined when I could and here we are!

HCIC: What is your role in the sorority?

JA: I am our new-member educator and the head of our formal committee!

HCIC: What is your favorite part about being in GDP?

JA: Definitely all of the girls! I know that at any time of any day I can always call someone and they will be there for me, no matter what. You always have a bunch of people to be there for you whenever you need them. The best part is they’ll also support all the weird things you want to do that you would never think to do without all of their encouragement.

HCIC: Do you have any advice for girls who are thinking of joining, but are hesitant to?

JA: Do it! Especially if you’re thinking of us because we’re nothing like a stereotypical sorority. I mean at least try and if you hate it you can always drop at any time, but believe me you won’t!

HCIC: So what is your take on stereotypical sororities?

JA: Greek life always get a bad reputation, but it’s from people not in Greek life. All of my best friends from home are involved in Greek like and I’ve heard all about the hazing they had to go through. Once I found out about GDP I was interested to see if any of the stories I had heard were true; I mean I was still up for it but still. However, the fact that we’re so focused on building and maintaining the bonds you make in the sorority is what I love about it. Us being so small and having to learn all of the sisters’ information also helps that a lot. I wanted the close knit community and that’s what GDP is. We’re not the typical culty type thing where you have to spend a lot of money to get stuff and friends. We’re more focused on building relationships with each other and Ithaca through the community service we do every semester, rather than being focused on our image and partying. Of course we still do party and focus on our imagine, it’s just not our main priority. We become a part of the Ithaca community because we want to, not because it’s a requirement and I think that’s what sets us apart from other sororities.

Hello! I'm a senior pshcyology major and counseling minor here at IC. I'm also a part of IC's only social service sorority, Gamma Delta Pi. Netflix, feminist literacture, and Wegmans' $0.59 spiral mac&cheese keep me going.