Madison Schaffer: President of NRHH

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Madison Schaffer, sophomore speech pathology major, was voted president of National Residence Hall Honorary after being inducted to the very selective society during her freshman year. Now, she works with the society to help create a better residence experience for all students living on campus.

Her Campus Ithaca College: What is NRHH?

Madison Schaffer: National Residence Hall Honorary is an honor society for anybody living in a residence hall. We only accept one percent of students living in residence halls, so for Ithaca that is 45 people. We do things like community service. It’s based on scholastics and community service and recognition for those doing community service.

HCIC: How did you get involved with NRHH?

MS: I got nominated to apply and then I spent a lot of time on the application and I got in.

HCIC: What are your responsibilities as president of NRHH?

MS: My responsibilities include organizing all the meetings, managing the e-board, planning events for us and making sure that everyone in the general body is coming to the meetings, which has been a struggle.

HCIC: What is the most challenging part about your position as president?

MS: Dealing with people who do not cooperate, because it’s an honor society and a lot of people consider it a club and feel like they don’t have to go to the meetings.

HCIC: What is your favorite part about being president of NRHH?

MS: My favorite part is being a student role model, and I like what our organization stands for.

HCIC: What are you currently working on with NRHH?

MS: Right now we are working on an initiative to spread positive messages about the dining hall workers. We are making cards for them and hanging them up to thank them.

HCIC: What else are you involved with on campus?

MS: I am also secretary of IC More Love Letters, which is also a nation wide organization we spread random acts of kindness by hiding happy notes around campus. I am also the president of upper terraces. I am the first ever president of upper terraces. I am in charge of making sure that all of the residents in terraces 7-13 have a fantastic year and living experience. I’m also a peer mentor for freshman in the school of HSHP.

Holly is a 20-something-year-old travel and lifestyle blogger (http://hollyhabeck.com) based in New York. She’s a Hufflepuff, and her Starbucks order forever remains a grande Iced Sweet Cream Cold Brew. When she’s not writing or editing photos for this site, you can find her watching The 100 with her fiancee and cuddling with her chihuahua x pomeranian pup Pixie.