Lynzi’s Five: Ways to Make Your Winter Workout Easier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Happy November, collegiettes! Winter weather is rolling in and unfortunately, we’re going to have to say goodbye to those beautiful outdoor runs under the falling leaves and setting sun. But stop right there – don’t make the frigid temps an excuse to get lazy! A good daily workout not only keeps you lookin’ good and feelin’ fine, but it also helps keep your grades and motivation for schoolwork on track. Therefore, as much as we hate it sometimes, we need that exercise. (Because exercise gives you endorphins, and endorphins make you happy, and happy people just don’t shoot their husbands…you get the point.) So here are some simple things that will keep you up on your fitness fix in the cold weather:

1. Make it a Group Effort

Cheering on you school’s sports, going out on a Friday night, Sunday dinner – what makes all these things fun? BEING WITH YOUR FRIENDS! Anything can become more enjoyable simply by doing it with the people you’re closest with, so grab a workout buddy! Even better, get a group of your friends together and make it a challenge – Biggest Loser style. Each of you can give yourself a goal (to get more toned, to lose weight, etc.) and you can all work on it together. Throw a prize in there for even more motivation.

2. A Killer Playlist

If you’re anything like me, music is one thing that gets you up and moving. Working out inside can definitely become boring, but not with Queen Bey’s voice in your ears. Blast some Love On Top and I can assure you, you’ll be workin’ those pull-ups. Above is a picture of my latest workout playlist. Steal some, get some ideas and make your own!

3. Show time = Go time

What’s sometimes even better than music to get your mind off of the miles and miles you’re running on the treadmill? Your favorite show, obvi. If you’re dreading the cardio workout you know you should be doing, head to the gym at the time your show is on – before you know it, you’ll have an hour done on the elliptical! You’ll actually find yourself paying more attention to your show than you would if you were sitting on your couch at home. So…win/win?

4. Body Pump, Butt & Gut and Spin – Oh My!

Take advantage of the classes that your campus fitness center offers. They’re inside, out of the cold, and they push you probably more than you would push yourself. The thing I love most about these classes? They go along with a playlist that is timed to be the duration of the class. Blasting music in an air-conditioned room with a super fit instructor pushing you to your highest level? Yup, that works for me. Lynzi’s class of choice: Cycling.

5. How-To at Home

Don’t want to leave your place? Don’t worry! Just whip out your laptop, or even your phone, and get cracking. Some of my favorite YouTube workouts: ‘8 Minute Abs’ and ‘Blogilates.’ Apps to download on your smartphone: ‘Workouts’ and the ‘Nike Training’ app. These all give you access to awesome workouts in the comfort of your own place.

So there you have it, ladies. A healthy life is a happy one, so keep it up even in the chilly temps! If you’re feeling low on the energy end (where are you, sun?), and feel like you need a boost, add some simple things to your diet. Eggs, dark chocolate and lemon water are just a few things that give you some nice natural energy and make you want to channel your inner Jillian Michaels. 

Broadcast Journalism Major, a.k.a. TVR with a minor in Journalism. Aspiring entertainment/sports reporter. I'm crafty, I like red skittles and sometimes I wish I were Holly Golightly. Follow me on twitter, @LynziDeLuccia ! #please
Hi HC readers!! My name is Carly and I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Ithaca College. I am currently majoring in Integrated Marketing Communications and minoring in Communication Management and Design and the Honors Program.  When I am not focusing on my studies or Her Campus, I enjoy singing, shopping, and watching reality television shows. I love writing and I am glad I am able to express my thoughts through Her Campus Ithaca. If you go to Ithaca and would love to get involved in writing for or promoting HCIC, send me an email at carlyschneer@hercampus.com. Keep Calm and Read On!