How to Survive Sick Days in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

You felt that unpromising tickle in your throat last night, and this morning your head felt like someone slammed it against the wall a hundred times. I’m sorry to break it to you, but you’re sick! If you’re anything like me, you’re freaking out about all of the work and classes you may miss. You’ve started looking up your symptoms online and according to the internet, you should already be dead–oh my gosh! We’ve all been there, but deep down, you know that self-diagnosing yourself won’t get you anywhere!

1.     Go to the Hammond Health Center!

The best thing to do is to go straight to the health center. Whether they prescribe you antibiotics or a good old dose of sleep and fluids, you’ll be happy to have gone.

2.     Rest. A lot.

Stay in bed and watch Netflix all day long—you deserve it. Don’t push yourself to go to class if you’re not feeling up to it. Make sure to communicate with your professors and let them know what’s going on. Not only will you be helping your body fight off your infection by resting, but you’ll be saving your classmates and professor from getting sick too.

3.     Sanitize/wash hands often as to not get others — *cough cough * your roommate– sick.

Germs spread like wildfire during cold and flu season. Don’t contribute to the madness that got you sick in the first place! Wash your hands/sanitize them frequently, and make sure to cover your mouth when you cough and sneeze. Also, don’t forget to wash your sheets/bedding as soon as you feel better—don’t expect to be a new, healthier you after spending the night in your post-sick, germ-infested bed.

4.     Eat healthy foods in the dining hall.

When you’re feeling sick (and just plain old gross), a bowl of mac and cheese may sound super comforting, but it will just make you feel worse and run down in the end. Go for some chicken/vegetable soup and a hot tea instead. Not only will it treat your throat well, but it will give you some extra energy to get you through the day. Also, make sure to stock up on cough drops and drink plenty of fluids.

5.     Layers, layers, layers!

Even though we may not be experiencing a typical Ithaca winter, it’s still pretty darn cold out there. Make sure to bundle up with a hat and scarf to keep your body super warm. You’re already rundown; there’s no need to torture your ill-stricken body with a windy slap in the face.

PC: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5