jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Survive a Long-Distance Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

The saying goes, long distance relationships will kill you. Much to my personal satisfaction though, I’ve learned that this is simply untrue. There’s many ways to keep a long-distance relationship going strong, and there’s no reason to be put off by the idea. Here’s a few tried and true tips for making it work:

1. Make Time

One of the most challenging things about being in a long-distance relationship is making time for your SO. It’s easy to get caught up in your own day-to-day and push off those phone calls and video chat. Don’t underestimate the power of checking in and communicating often!

2. Be an individual

Though it’s important to stay in touch when in a long distance relationship, having your own life and independence is essential. Nobody wants to be constantly glued to their phone, so get out there and get yourself busy. It’ll get your mind off missing your S.O. and give you something to tell them about later!

3. Utilize Technology

Long distance relationships are easier now than ever before due to the technology that we have access to. Whether you prefer text, FaceTime, or a traditional phone calls, figure out what communication method works best for you and your S.O. and make time for it!

4. Make Plans

Even if you don’t get to see your special someone as often as you’d like due to distance, make special plans for when you do. This gives you something to talk about and even more of a reason to be excited to see each other. It’ll also help you get through the tough times of missing each other by knowing how great it will be when you finally get to reunite. 

1

Holly is a 20-something-year-old travel and lifestyle blogger (http://hollyhabeck.com) based in New York. She’s a Hufflepuff, and her Starbucks order forever remains a grande Iced Sweet Cream Cold Brew. When she’s not writing or editing photos for this site, you can find her watching The 100 with her fiancee and cuddling with her chihuahua x pomeranian pup Pixie.