you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How a Mentor Can Change Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

For those of you who are new to the internship/job world, a good mentor can sometimes be the reason you choose a specific career path. Mentors can honestly be anyone you look to for advice, career help, or possible job connections. It’s usually someone who assists you during your college years but it never hurts to get a head start on finding one in high school. They can provide advice on important basic steps like building a resume, college and scholarship applications, networking for summer internships, and suggestions for campus activities (clubs, etc) that can augment your resume and field of study.

They are a good source to use and can be super helpful with future planning. Professors, teammates, coaches, family friends, a professional in your field, and advisors are just some examples of people who could be great sources as a possible mentor.

Mentors can also help show you the ropes in the professional world. I’ve had mentors in my desired career field that I’ve been fortunate enough to shadow or intern with in order to get a better idea of what I want to do or what I want my outcome goal to be. In a job setting, a mentor could be someone within your company that helps you set goals to further your career.

Make a career/goal plan, find someone who can provide good advice and help you make important connections, and stick to your plan! Mentors are there to help you, so learn to ask for help when you need it.

PC: 1

Hey ladies! I'm a senior exercise and sports science major at IC. I love writing for HC, riding horses, and long walks on the beach!