HC Ithaca Study Abroad: The Milanese Apertivo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Ciao from Milan, Italy! Milan is the bustling metropolis of finance, fashion and culture for Italy and although I’ve only been here a month, I’ve been eagerly absorbing as much Milanese culture as possible. Even though I’ve done some fabulous shopping in the fashion district and have lots of art museums at my disposal, my favorite part of studying abroad in Milan is the tradition of the Milanese aperitivo.

Aperitivos, which began in Milan, guarantee hearty noshing for the mere price of a drink.   Aperitivos are actually meant to whet the appetite for dinner, which is why they’re conveniently held from 6:30 until about 9:30 almost everyday of the week, just before Italians start dinner. But for starving students on a budget, an aperitivo is an excellent deal – find the right aperitivo place (read: big plates, friendly bartenders and non-snobby clientele) and you could pay about 7 euro for a sweet libation and delicious dinner.

There’s also the social aspect of aperitivo – it’s a fun way to go out with friends every week without breaking the bank, not to mention a great way to meet new ones. In fact, an aperitivo is an ideal place to hang out with a potential significant other – low stress, cheap date. For me, aperitivos have been a lovely way to indulge my inner foodie – from traditional Italian fare to Mediterannean foods, I’ve found the best places to eat and drink in Milan.

If you want to have a taste of Milan on the South Hill, host an aperitivo of your own. Make simple finger foods like bruschetta, fresh fruits, pitas and hummus – use your creativity!  Mix a few drinks (if you’re of legal age, of course), turn up the music, and invite your friends over – you’ve just created your own aperitivo!

Cady Lang is a junior (class of 2014) at Ithaca College, where she is studying as a journalism major with English and art history minors. Cady is currently the Editor in Chief of 360 Magazine, Ithaca College's narrative style publication. She is also a staff writer and blogger for the college's award-winning newspaper, The Ithacan and a frequent contributor to Buzzsaw Magazine, the college's alternative magazine. She also has experience as an intern for Condé Nast and Diablo Magazine. She is devoted to art, culture and brunch. She hopes to pursue to a career in magazine journalism. Follow her on twitter: @cadylang.