This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Three years ago, I fell in love with Beantown. I was a junior in high school, a New Yorker my whole life and was convinced that I would be attending Emerson College after my first visit to the city of Boston. Emerson lies on Boylston Street. The street where such horrific and indescribable acts were seen on Monday afternoon, tainting the city’s beloved Marathon Monday.

On a side note, things went down a different path for me and obviously I ended up here at Ithaca. Yet the many times that I’d visited Boston, it won my heart. That’s why when I heard two bombs struck the finish line of the Boston Marathon, my heart sunk. I have known a number of people to run the marathon, let alone a number of people living in the city. Immediately, I wanted to know how to help, and figured you would too.

At this point, there are 3 dead and at least 170 injured from the bombings. Here are some ways you can help out victims and their families:

1. Schedule a time to donate blood

Even though there is enough blood right now to meet demand, a spokesperson from American Red Cross said that scheduling a time in the future would be the best way to get involved. You can also contribute to the Red Cross disaster fund. (http://rdcrss.org/PSpvi2)

2. The Salvation Army

Since the Salvation Army is deploying mobile feeding kitchens and volunteers, you can always give online to the non-profit. More information here: https://donate.salvationarmyusa.org/

3. RUN

A number of cities are planning “unity runs” or “Run for Boston” races. They’re completely voluntary, and many will have opportunities to donate to the tragedy. Search online to see if there are any runs in your area honoring the victims.

4. Specifically at IC

Ithaca is holding a remembrance for victims with a candle lighting at the Textor Ball on April 15th at 8pm. Come with a candle to support classmates from Boston and everyone who was affected in the tragedy.

“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, ‘Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.'” It seems like we really can turn back to our early mornings with Mr. Rogers to get through tragedies like this. #PrayForBoston

Broadcast Journalism Major, a.k.a. TVR with a minor in Journalism. Aspiring entertainment/sports reporter. I'm crafty, I like red skittles and sometimes I wish I were Holly Golightly. Follow me on twitter, @LynziDeLuccia ! #please
Hi HC readers!! My name is Carly and I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Ithaca College. I am currently majoring in Integrated Marketing Communications and minoring in Communication Management and Design and the Honors Program.  When I am not focusing on my studies or Her Campus, I enjoy singing, shopping, and watching reality television shows. I love writing and I am glad I am able to express my thoughts through Her Campus Ithaca. If you go to Ithaca and would love to get involved in writing for or promoting HCIC, send me an email at carlyschneer@hercampus.com. Keep Calm and Read On!