Feeling Stuffed? 3 Thanksgiving Dining Tips You Should Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

We always look forward to this holiday every year when we give thanks to what we have, watch football and eat an extravagant meal. But we’ve all been there: sitting in our chairs with our pants unbuttoned, too full to move after our family’s Thanksgiving feast. Personally, I eat at least two helpings of turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and desserts galore. Afterwards, I’m usually in a food coma, where I can barely move and will eventually pass out.

To beat this popular phenomenon, I have three easy tips to not go overboard this Thanksgiving:

tab-stops:list 13.0pt”> mso-fareast-font-family:Times;mso-bidi-font-family:Times”>1.  Avoid the ‘Appy’ Craze. It’s 4 o’clock, and the appetizers are about to go out. You have been starving yourself all day so you can eat everything that is placed in front of you. A common mistake people make during Thanksgiving is to fill up on the appetizers, which will make you too full to eat anymore. To avoid this dilemma, choose three of your favorite appetizers, (I always go for my aunt’s pumpkin soup), and don’t go up for seconds. You’ll feel satisfied and you’ll have room for dinner!

tab-stops:list 13.0pt”> mso-fareast-font-family:Times;mso-bidi-font-family:Times”>2.  Can you say, portion control? Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, rolls, the list goes on and on; you want to try everything without bursting! However, portion control will help you try everything on the table, while still feeling satisfied. A rule of thumb is if you can’t see the china under your food, you’ve probably taken way too much. Take a small serving of everything you want to try and then go back up for seconds. There’s always dessert and, for most Americans, this is the best part of Thanksgiving.

tab-stops:list 13.0pt”> normal”> mso-bidi-font-family:Times”>3.  POP! Goes the button on my pants. Dessert has just been served you’re dying to try all of the pies on the table. Usually during my Thanksgiving dinner we have at least five different pies and other types desserts. But here is my advice: do not wear tight clothing on Thanksgiving. I know, you probably have a really cute outfit picked out for the holiday, but you need feel comfortable in your clothing while eating. Try to wear looser clothes such as, a flowy dress, skirt or stretchy pants. Your tight mini skirt is not going to cut it; Thanksgiving is the only day where food wins over fashion.

By following these three rules, you will be thankful not get the ultimate Thanksgiving food baby! But most importantly, ladies, we should be thankful everyday for everything that we have, not just on Thanksgiving.

I am a sophomore at Ithaca College studying, Communication Management and Design. I am a senator in Student Government, a member of the IC Spirit Week Committee and VP of Communications for Students Today, Alumni Tomorrow. I am looking to pursue a career in Event Planning, but in the meantime, I am a passionate traveler and fashionista.
Hi HC readers!! My name is Carly and I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Ithaca College. I am currently majoring in Integrated Marketing Communications and minoring in Communication Management and Design and the Honors Program.  When I am not focusing on my studies or Her Campus, I enjoy singing, shopping, and watching reality television shows. I love writing and I am glad I am able to express my thoughts through Her Campus Ithaca. If you go to Ithaca and would love to get involved in writing for or promoting HCIC, send me an email at carlyschneer@hercampus.com. Keep Calm and Read On!