The Fault in Taylor Swift’s “Wildest Dreams”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

When Taylor Swift released her new music video, “Wildest Dreams,” before MTV’s Video Music Awards, it was evident that there were some issues with the video. Claims were immediately released stating that the video was racially insensitive, and most media outlets were quick to state their opinion about it. The director of the music video, Joseph Kahn, later took to Twitter to defend “Wildest Dreams.” He stated that there could be no sign of racism because a “super hot” black woman produced the video. However, this is just plain wrong. There is racism in the video, and it’s quite disturbing!

The video is set in a safari backdrop filled with giraffes, lions and zebras, but lacks the actual participation of black Africans. In fact, this video seems to romanize white colonialism. The video portrays Africa as an “exotic” land, creating the illusion that everything is splendid — when in reality, it isn’t. This is a place full of devastation where aid is very much needed. They do not show any of that but view it as a white-filled, exotic place. The music video uses this setting with no black Africans for entertainment purposes and completely casts aside those that do populate the land. Let’s get one thing straight here, colonialism is not romantic. It is brutal and malicious.

Taranjit S. Bhatti, a junior culture and communication major at Ithaca College, believes the video is a “white colonial fantasy.”

“It is this stereotypical depiction of Africa that romanticizes the colonial era, which consequently masks the injustices that had occurred on the continent through the economic and social exploitation by European powers.”

Marieme Foote, a sophomore politics major at IC agrees.

“I thought the video was disturbing. This infatuation with Africa and blackness is these instances while ignoring the black bodies that occupy those spaces is scary. There has been almost an extraction of black lives and existence from our spaces to please white entertainers and their viewers’ desires. Our “exotic” lands continue to be used as props to please the audience.”

I have always been a fan of Taylor and her work (in fact, my first concert was Taylor Swift). I love the song. However, what this video demonstrates is offensive. There’s no doubt that the directors, producers and overall team should have done their research before agreeing to do such a concept for the video.  

Haven’t seen the video yet? Check it out and let us know what you think!

Holly is a 20-something-year-old travel and lifestyle blogger (http://hollyhabeck.com) based in New York. She’s a Hufflepuff, and her Starbucks order forever remains a grande Iced Sweet Cream Cold Brew. When she’s not writing or editing photos for this site, you can find her watching The 100 with her fiancee and cuddling with her chihuahua x pomeranian pup Pixie.