Exploratory Peer Mentor, Hayley Kretchmer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Year: Sophomore

Major: Communication Studies, Sociology Minor

Hometown: Evanston, Illinois

Her Campus Ithaca College: What made you decide to become an Exploratory Peer Mentor?

Hayley Kretchmer: I decided to be an Exploratory Peer Mentor because the Exploratory Program was extremely beneficial to me in my own search for a major, so I want to share my passion for this program with everyone else! When I entered college, I had no idea what major I wanted to pursue; now that I’ve made up my mind, I want to give back and help others decide. This position gives me the opportunity to engage with a lot of people who are looking for some guidance with the entire major search process, and it is fun to help them find and develop their own passions.

HCIC: How did you apply to become one?

HK: At the end of the 2016 spring semester, I saw a posting on the Intercom stating that the Exploratory Program was looking for more Peer Mentors for the 2016-2017 school year. I filled out an application, had an interview with a couple of leaders in the program, and was offered the position.

HCIC: What are your main tasks and responsibilities as a mentor?

HK: As a Peer Mentor, I give presentations to Exploring the Options classes about the resources on (and off) campus that Exploratory students should utilize. I also attend and answer questions at Exploratory Program events, such as Meet and Greets, Admissions Events, and the Majors and Minors fair. Additionally, I make myself available to my mentees and keep in touch with them; I email them weekly with announcements and important info regarding opportunities at IC that are worth pursuing. I love it when my mentees reach out to me with questions!

HCIC: What’s your favorite part about being a mentor?

HK: This Peer Mentor position has allowed me to make a lot of valuable connections with different Exploratory Students. It’s always fun to meet new people and give advice based upon personal experience.

HCIC: You were an Exploratory student your first two semesters. How did the program help you decide on your major?

HK: As a member of the Exploratory Program, I took a class called Exploring the Options during my first semester at IC. Through this class, I learned a lot about the different major and career options that I had, which was extremely helpful for when it came time to declare a major. This program also opened my eyes to all of the resources on campus, such as the Academic Advising Center and the Office of Career Services, both of which I have now been to more times than I can count.

HCIC: If you could tell your freshman-self one thing about the process of choosing a major, what would it be?

HK: I would simply tell myself to CALM DOWN! Not knowing your major at the beginning of freshman year is okay; if you ask me, entering college as an Exploratory is the smartest thing you can do. Exploration is a process, and though it may be frustrating and stressful at times, there are so many people at IC to help you make the best choice for you!

HCIC: What other clubs or activities are you involved with on campus?

HK: Outside of the classroom, I’m the treasurer of HEARD, which is a volunteer student organization that brings creative art activities to a local juvenile prison. I’m also a sitter for Guiding Eyes for the Blind at IC, so I care for and help train puppies to be seeing-eye dogs when their raisers have other obligations. I’m also in the IC Tap Club, and I’ll be a Study Abroad Ambassador as well, since I studied abroad in Ireland this past summer and will study abroad again next year.

HCIC: What’s your favorite restaurant in Ithaca?

HK: My favorite restaurant is definitely Viva Taqueria. I’m pleased with my meal every time I go!