Campus Cutie: Bradley Whittemore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Name: Bradley Whittemore

Year: 2016

Major: Music Education – Voice

Hometown: Hilton, NY

Relationship Status: In a relationship

Age: 20

Favorite Activity: Playing games with friends

On campus organizations: Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia, Pep Band

How did you first get into music?:

“I’ve been told that I first ‘got into music’ when I was a youngster in church. My mom has told the story countless times of how, when the choir would sing, I would stand up on her lap in the pew and conduct along. It all kind of grew from there!”

What drew you to the program at Ithaca?:

“The music education program was definitely one of the biggest draws! Three of the four music teachers at my high school went to IC for their undergrad, and I always looked up to all of them so much that I knew there was something special about it. As I learned more, I knew that this was where I wanted to spend the next four years of my life.”

Favorite place to hang out on campus?:

“The Diva Lounge in the school of music. It’s my favorite place to unwind and catch up with friends and meet new ones who pass through!”

Tell us about your recent recital:

“My recital was a collaboration between myself and music ed senior Hannah Abrams. For me, it was an opportunity to share some of my favorite pieces that I’ve worked on over the last four years with my friends, as well as to show how far I’ve come in that time. It was one heck of a show!”

Do you have a favorite piece? Why?:

“Favorite piece? Probably Antonin Dvorak’s ‘New World Symphony.’ The piece is as riveting as it is beautiful. It’s a timeless work that can get me pumped up or help me relax after a long day of classes. If you have a chance, take a listen to the fourth movement; you won’t regret it!”

Music majors are known to be crazy busy. Do you have any advice for underclassman trying to manage school, activities, relationships?:

“A few tips: Don’t procrastinate! I know how easy it can be to say ‘Oh, I’ll work on it later,’ but that’s a slippery slope that can lead to some unnecessary all-nighters. My other major suggestion is to find some method of time management that works for you. I’m a visual person who needs to be able to plan things out weeks and occasionally months in advance, so using Apple’s calendar app has kept me on top of where I’ll be and when. It can also help you keep track of when you’ll have time to do homework, practice, hang out with friends or even sleep (from time to time, of course…).”

Hi! I'm the Campus Correspondent for Ithaca College's Her Campus chapter and a double major in English and Politics (International Studies). I'm an equestrian, a lover of music and dance, and an aspiring writer and avid reader. While my long term goal is to teach political theory at the college level, I am planning to enter the workforce for a few years hopefully continuing to read, write, and edit. Her Campus has been my home since my freshman year, and it brings me so much joy to continue to write and run our chapter in my last year at school.
Holly is a 20-something-year-old travel and lifestyle blogger (http://hollyhabeck.com) based in New York. She’s a Hufflepuff, and her Starbucks order forever remains a grande Iced Sweet Cream Cold Brew. When she’s not writing or editing photos for this site, you can find her watching The 100 with her fiancee and cuddling with her chihuahua x pomeranian pup Pixie.