Body Positivity for All: Aerie’s new campaign that puts body shaming to shame

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

As young women growing up in a fashion-forward and media-obsessed world, we deal with a lot of self-esteem and body shaming issues. I think I was 12 when I realized I wasn’t going to be 6 feet tall or a size two ever in my life, which seemed like the end of the world at the time. Today, I have completely accepted that and have learned to love my body and my various flaws, because that is my kind of perfect.

Dealing with a low self-esteem and worrying about what others think can drag you down. Guess what? I guarantee everyone (both men and women) has gone through the same thing at some point in their lifetime. You’re not alone, and everything about you makes you beautiful. Body positivity is a good look on anyone.

American Eagle Outfitter’s underwear line Aerie has recently approached the topic of body positivity for everyone. Yes, you guessed it, this includes men! Their campaign embraces the phrase, “The real you is sexy.” Recently, it was stated that this viral campaign was just a joke, but was meant to raise awareness of body acceptance.

“We aren’t afraid of being bold in how we engage our customers, whether through a video that makes you think twice, or challenging the norm in how a brand markets to men,” said Chad Kessler, American Eagle Outfitters Global Brand President, in a statement. “We are an all-inclusive brand, and we know our male customers respond to humor. We look forward to continuing to innovate and evolve the American Eagle Outfitters product offerings.”

Although it seems like a frustrating April Fool’s joke, this “campaign” has drawn a lot of positive attention, and I think it will lead to future, and maybe more real, campaigns that embrace men and their beautiful bodies too.

We should be empowering men and women alike and keep in mind that everyone deals with their body image issues in some way. Whether your thighs touch or your stomach rolls when you sit down, it’s natural, and nature always has a reason for why it is the way it is. I think the most important thing to take away from any body positive campaign is to be true to yourself, love you for you and try to be the best version of you, no matter what that means.

Hey ladies! I'm a senior exercise and sports science major at IC. I love writing for HC, riding horses, and long walks on the beach!